Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fuge, Skimmer, and/or Media Reactor

hoost

Need some help/advice, guys. Have been running my tank for about 2.5 months now (20L), no fish but a few corals that seem to be doing well. My nitrates have been super high around 50ppm. Just did a huge water change, hoping that will help.

I had a nuvo dc skimmer from IM that seems to have burned out. So I have an empty chamber currently and am considering setting up a little fuge. I also was thinking about maybe squeezing a slim skimmer and/or media reactor. I don't know if that is even an option, just a thought. Any advice on what I should do?

My current setup is Chamber 1: filter sock. Chamber 2: skimmer. Chamber 3: Heater, return pump, ATO return. 

Thanks in advance!

Christopher Marks

A water change should make a big dent in your nitrates. How often do you change your water?

A refugium can be a nice addition, but without any fish, it might absorb too many nitrates, which your corals will appreciate some availability of.

I was doing them weekly but only about 10-15%. I think i let it get out of hand and that % wasn’t making much of an impact. I’m going to be adding fish in the near future. Pretty sure i introduced ick to my tank after it cycled so now I’m running fallow for a few more weeks hoping to get rid of the parasite. 

• Like 1