ReefCleaners.org

Stacking rocks for aquascape?

j.falk

I've been thinking about this topic for quite awhile now and have always wondered what is the best way to aquascape a nano reef tank?

In the past, it's always served me best to try and stack the rock up in the middle of the tank and let the water flow around it in a circular motion via 2 powerheads placed in the corners of the tank.   This seems to eliminate any dead spots, but I don't really like how it looks.   

I've also seen tanks where they stack the rock up in the back of the tank with it resting against the glass (essentially forming a wall) and use power heads to push water back and forth in front of the wall.  I really like the look of the wall of rocks and have been wondering if something like that is doable in a nano tank?  And what about the area behind the wall where water can't easily flow through...would that be a problem in the long run?  

Thoughts and pics of your aquascape are more than welcomed!

• Like 1

I'd be afraid of them falling over, unless you secured them somehow.  Were you thinking of going all the way up the back wall, or just partially?  I could see how it would look cool, and leave you plenty of sand bed for corals, but I'm not sure even with power heads if it could get the flow through the rocks.  It seems you would get dead spots and hair algae would grow.  But, maybe someone has already done this and can chime in.

I would not stack rocks against the back wall. Inevitably you will get algae on the back wall and it makes it annoying to clean when there is rocks up against it.. also you know about dead spots.. so not putting any wave makes against the back wall will not only cause a dead spot,  but create a one that you cant get to clean. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, j.falk said:

Can one of the admins move this post to the aquascaping forum?  I didn't realize there already was an aquascaping section on nano-reef.  🙃

I thinks it’s okay to keep the thread in general... it’s a good topic too!

Both of my tanks have scapes that are positioned away from the back wall. I glued my rocks together in my first tank to create a structure with caves/swim throughs. Due to the somewhat precarious nature of the glued structure, this made it so I can’t take them out to do anything like scrub them or treat them for pests. But it does force me to find other ways to deal with those kinds of issues, which isn’t a bad thing really as it has led me to use more natural methods like Berghia nudibranchs for getting rid of Aiptasia and sea hares for eradicating GHA. 

For my second tank I just chose two rocks that stand on their own so I can easily take them out or move them if needed. Both approaches have their merits. 

I’ve also seen people drill holes in rocks so they can pass rods through them to secure them without gluing. 

As as far as leaning or gluing against the back wall, I would worry about diminished flow, but I’ve seen some really cool scapes where they’ve actually glued the rock to the back wall... lemme see if I can find the one on here that I especially liked... 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, j.falk said:

I've been thinking about this topic for quite awhile now and have always wondered what is the best way to aquascape a nano reef tank?

In the past, it's always served me best to try and stack the rock up in the middle of the tank and let the water flow around it in a circular motion via 2 powerheads placed in the corners of the tank.   This seems to eliminate any dead spots, but I don't really like how it looks.   

I've also seen tanks where they stack the rock up in the back of the tank with it resting against the glass (essentially forming a wall) and use power heads to push water back and forth in front of the wall.  I really like the look of the wall of rocks and have been wondering if something like that is doable in a nano tank?  And what about the area behind the wall where water can't easily flow through...would that be a problem in the long run?  

Thoughts and pics of your aquascape are more than welcomed!

Its really what you prefer and what kind of corals and fish you want keep. 

I have two tanks and each scape is different. In my smaller tank I have the rocks glued together and leaning against the wall. 

5A0DBDEB-4B4A-4562-BDE5-D8F81D6ECED3.thumb.jpeg.7521b62e0813c86f18cd5dceaf03355a.jpeg

Here’s how it looked in the beginning. 

7690793D-543D-4676-ADCC-4A4D2988E228.thumb.jpeg.2e37c6b440932bca1bf4abcce55ad25d.jpeg

My powerheads help push water around and behind the rocks.  

My larger tank has minimal rock work so that I have more room for fish. I also have some magnetic rocks attached to the wall for extra coral space. 

44B5632B-9933-4F45-A203-C9CDA992B2B2.thumb.jpeg.d063f56e7beb438a54d62b2de7f0407c.jpeg

And here it is in the beginning. 

D16F7E96-42C8-481B-93AB-ECB13C9F78D6.thumb.jpeg.1fd5d427887c1a0f7eba79f962514097.jpeg

What size tank are you setting up? I would suggest looking at other threads for the same size tank to get ideas. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Its really what you prefer and what kind of corals and fish you want keep. 

What size tank are you setting up? I would suggest looking at other threads for the same size tank to get ideas. 

Those are some great looking tanks.  I've always been under the impression that it was a requirement to have at least 1 - 2 lbs of rock per gallon of water but it looks like your tanks are doing just fine with less than that.  

I'm currently restarting a nano 20 gallon high.  Two days ago I tore everything down and bleached / preoxided / vinegared all equipment and rock so that it's all like new again.  I was tired of fighting the Lyngbya, bryopsis , and dino and figured with a tank that small it wouldn't take much to restart and try going a different route.

I've been looking at the various TOTM threads with envy.  I really want to be able to emulate something similar to what I see in those tanks.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, j.falk said:

Those are some great looking tanks.  I've always been under the impression that it was a requirement to have at least 1 - 2 lbs of rock per gallon of water but it looks like your tanks are doing just fine with less than that.  

I'm currently restarting a nano 20 gallon high.  Two days ago I tore everything down and bleached / preoxided / vinegared all equipment and rock so that it's all like new again.  I was tired of fighting the Lyngbya, bryopsis , and dino and figured with a tank that small it wouldn't take much to restart and try going a different route.

I've been looking at the various TOTM threads with envy.  I really want to be able to emulate something similar to what I see in those tanks.

Thanks. 😊

I feel like less is more when it comes to rock. You can always add more as you go. 

Good luck on your restart. 

12 hours ago, banasophia said:

I’ve also seen people drill holes in rocks so they can pass rods through them to secure them without gluing. 

I kind of like that idea.  I'll have to look into that more.  Thanks!  (Y)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, j.falk said:

that is an out dated rule. lots of amazing minimalist reefs out there both  big and small. you can use media for extra LR effect. 

as far as gluing the scape lots of options JB water weld, marco cement, tons of putty out there. plastic reef welder stuff. IMHO just dont go to  crazy and glue it all together but more in pieces so if you need to take it out to frag that amazing coral it's not 100% of your scape. 

lots of ppl use the drive way acrylic rods and dill and stack method I have never got that tho. lest not yet.

i enjoy scaping it's both rewarding and frustrating at the same time. 

I think the best advise I can give for scaping is have more rock than you need in different size and shapes decide on the "style" check out lots of FTS   for ideas ans inspiration  and have fun. as along as you like it, that's all that matters.

good luck with the restart!          

I have roughly 27 lbs. of Marco rock in big thick chunks.  I might have to get out the chisel and hammer (or drill) this weekend and see about creating a variety of shapes and sizes.  

@devaji108  Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, j.falk said:

I have roughly 27 lbs. of Marco rock in big thick chunks.  I might have to get out the chisel and hammer (or drill) this weekend and see about creating a variety of shapes and sizes.  

yup dont be afraid of breaking up the rock you can always glue it back together for more interesting shapes . I had to do that with a couple big chucks of LR for TBS was huge made it so much better.