Top Shelf Aquatics

Need Advice About Temp and Heaters...

RedPhotog

I purchased an InkBird aquarium controller for my Cobalt Neo. The device has a differential setting that can go as low as 1 degree. I keep my tank at 78 degrees. I set the InkBird for 78 degrees, with a differential of 1 degree, meaning...the controller will power the heater on once the temp goes below 77 degrees, and will shut the heater off when it reaches 78 degrees. The Neo is set to 78. 

Problem that I am seeing with the 1 degree differential, is it makes a too large of a temp swing. The largest swing I’ve seen was 76.4 to 78.2. Is this too big of a temp swing in terms of stability? The Neo by itself is fabulous at maintaining a 77-78 window. It even has a 77.5-78 window. Should I can the InkBird and get something else? I wanted a controller for redundancy. 

My 10 gallon tank (now in the heat of the summer) is set at 76 degrees but on very hot days where the AC in the house struggles to keep up the tank will touch 80 degrees for a while.  So that is a 4 degree difference.  Not ideal but my tank is fine (aside from a little more algae on the glass). Each tank is different and depending on what you have in there may determine if its too much of a swing.

• Like 1

The neotherm should hold your temperature really close . About a half degree.. set the heater to 78 and set the inkbird at 80 for a safety shutoff... 

This is what my neotherm does.. in use the apex as a safety shut off at 81

Screenshot_20190829-172344_Apex Fusion.jpg

• Thanks 1