Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Are these vermetid snails?

Nell

Noticing these on a frogspawn in my quarantine tank and I'm trying to identify them. I removed them manually once but they only took about a week to reappear in these numbers. The frogspawn seems to be doing okay but it seems bothered by them. Thanks for any help identifying them!

DSC06693.thumb.jpg.84bcb9f335a29743485a38f1987f6d89.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it to me, but the real test is do they put out strings of snot when you feed the tank or stir it up?  They cast mucus like 'webs' that can be full on snot webs for some species, or just thing strings for others when they try to catch food.  They they reel it back in to their mouth at the tube.

Vermatid snails send out a webbing (stringy) material to catch things out of the water column.  I don't see any webbing in your photo.

Those look like Polychate tube worms to me...see the two antenna coming off of them.

chaetoplerid-right.jpg

chaetopterid-left.jpg

GetPsyched2124

I've been fighting off vermetids for almost a year in my tank thanks to one coming in on a torch coral. mine only seem to spit the white stringy stuff out when there's nutrients in the water column, mainly when i either scrape the algae off the glass or baste detritus off the rocks. if you do those things and nothing stringy comes out it's probably the polychate. if it is vermetid, crush every one you see with steel tweezers as far down to it's base as possible. some people say that vermetids are harmless but I watch one sting my torch's tentacles on one of it's heads maybe 8 months and the tentacles haven't been the same since.

Thanks everyone! The chaetopterid worm pictures match up very well so I think they must be some kind of those. Is there a method for removing these? I scraped them all off and redipped the coral but they seem to come back pretty fast anyways. The frogspawn does seem to be opening up more after I manually remove them.