Cultivated Reef

15 gallon column

cmedlock

Hello! I'm new to reefing and i have an aqueon 15 gallon column and I'm struggling to find a good and affordable LED light for my tank. I have two clowns and I'm looking to add corals but cant find a light to fit my dimensions 13.5 '' length and width and it's 25'' deep. I'm open to pretty much any form of lighting, but if it needs to be hung whats a good hanging kit? thank you!

I think the only issue is depth.  The Aqueon 15g column is 13-3/4" L x 13-5/8" W x 25" H.  I know AI's lights are recommended at covering up to 24" down, but the prime is still $200 new.  All of the AI lights have rim mounts and could be hung with their actual hanging kits.

Do you have a budget in mind?  If you did something like the above you'd be able to reuse it if you ever go bigger.  If you're trying to be cost effective you could do some googling for the "chinese blackbox" style leds people get off of ebay.  I think there is a facebook group people use to find these.

All of this also depends on what corals you're wanting to grow.  Some things could be done with pretty generic LEDs as long as they're in the right spectrum.  When it comes to cheaper lights, though, it'll be hard to know whether they'll penetrate all that great or not.

A mars aqua or viparspectra are good budget lights.

If you build your rockwork up, depth of the tank and the above mentioned lights shouldn't be an issue. 

The other option is the AI Prime.