ReefCleaners.org

New filter floss caused skimmer to go crazy

nevets9333

A lot of floss I tried does the same thing. Doesn't fill the cup, though. I'm just assuming it's harmless because a lot of people don't have skimmers to pull whatever it is out and don't have problems.

The one filter pad I know doesn't do it is the Imagitarium pad from Petco.

The difference I see in the skimmer foaming pads is they have low surface tension and go in easily, soak through the water easy when putting a new one in. The filters that don't foam the skimmer have high surface tension and are a little more work to change, because they hold air when new and I have to work out the air pockets. 

Thanks xthunt. I am just using it to keep debris from by refugium from flowing into my next chamber. Was looking for something relatively cheap that will get the job done. At the same time didn't want to put anything harmful into the tank. I guess that makes me feel better that it didn't only happen to me? 

My concern was it says it is for ponds, and since reefs are more delicate it might have something in it that can be a detriment to corals. 

I would think the skimmer going crazy is from there being tiny bits of material in the water from the floss itself more than any type of contamination.  The little fuzz probably just adds a lot of surface area for the bubbles to build up on, and acts similar to having a lot of material in the water.

• 4 weeks later...

You have to be careful with stuff sold on the net. Years ago before Skimmers, the Internet; I knew someone who bought "Filter Floss" from a fabric store. Killed everything in his tank. It had some kind of plasticsizer on it, so it wouldn't grow bacteria and smell. 

I’ve used that exact roll back in 2017, no issues.  I’m now using Sera Filter Wool 500 g, 1.1 lb.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013ZAESE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

this stuff annoyingly causes my skimmer to go apeshit so I have to empty the skimmer cup anytime I change the floss. Also states it’s for use on ponds but I’ve seen no ill effects beyond excessive skimming 

• Thanks 1