Xenomorph

Stocking options for a 13.5 gal reef tank

Xenomorph

Yes the tank is done cycling because I used mature ocean water and Ive done 1-2 water changes in the beginning to clean it up

currently there are a few wild hermit crabs and 3 turbo snails

Tired

Ocean water has no bacteria in it. The beneficial bacteria you need are on rocks and in the sand, on solid objects. Water has no benefit, and wild water comes with the risk of introducing parasites and pathogens. 

What kind of hermit crabs? Some are not at all safe for other inverts, some can threaten sleeping fish, and many get very large. 

• Like 1

Xenomorph

Well the ocean water was with the sand I gathered from the ocean area

the types of hermit crabs I have are red legged and brown legged

also I changed the water and clean the filter often when it was first set up so I'm pretty confident that there ant any parasites... as for pathogens I don't know

Tired

Parasites have nothing to do with filter cleaning, and pathogens you can't know about, because they're microscopic. Pathogens are germs. 

Those are names that people use for a lot of different crabs. Do you have any pictures? 

You should get a water test kit and find out what your parameters are. You should also take out the hair algae and do a lot of water changes until it goes down some.

• Like 1

Xenomorph

I don't have any pics of the crabs because they are all under 1/4" in size 

and Ive taken out all the hair algae except for a patch on the back which I'll be getting to shortly

• Like 1

Wonderboy

Good to hear things are getting better. I just want to mention that there is a lot of benefits to using natural seawater (including beneficial bacterias). There's really no reason to be scared of nature's circumstances; the advantages of using collected are outstanding. In a small system like this, I wouldn't even bother sterilizing it either.

Tired

Wild water does sometimes bring in some cool things. Plankton for your fish to eat, larval creatures- it depends on where and when you get it. The Monterey Bay aquarium uses water straight from the ocean (though with some filtering for most systems), and deliberately floods some displays with completely unfiltered water to add nutrients and whatnot, and they have all kinds of fun little things growing everywhere. They also have some not-so-fun little things.

Clown79

Did you replace the lava rock with liverock? Without liverock, there is no biological filtration.

Xenomorph

Right no 

w I have some coral pieces and some dry rock from a friends sw but I'm not gonna be able to get live rock until 2 weeks from now due to company and what not