inTank Media Baskets

is Polyplab polypbooster same as or similar toKorallen-Zucht Amino Acid LPS?

neyes_ice

hello everyone!

are they the same or similar? can they be used alternately?

polyplab to be used with reef roids twice a week.

korallen to be used daily.

they are both some type of amino acid

thanks

I had pretty good luck generating cyano with Bragg Amino's from the healthfood section/store and it's quite a bit cheaper.  (I assume you are trying to generate cyano, right?)

😉

Just joking mostly... but the brand I mentioned does at least tell you the ingredients. 

Amino acids can be consumed by coral, but aren't considered a preferred food source as far as I know.  

Here's an article I saved that shows a documented example:

https://reefsuccess.com/2016/10/21/trophic-dynamics-of-scleractinian-corals-stable-isotope-evidence/

In my estimation what happens most of the time with most of the dosed amino acids is that they break down and dissolve into the water, becoming mostly a carbon source, and a nitrogen source with a little trace element.

Check out the core structure:

Aminoacid_general_structure.png

"R" is where the functional part of the amino is attached.  The rest is carbon nitrogen and (more or less) water...some extra hydrogen and oxygen.

Check this out for all the basic amino structures: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Amino_acid

In many tanks that combination does end up producing a cyanobacteria bloom, which makes sense in a certain context.

If the tank was more or less in balance and you dose amino acids — which in that context means an excess of carbon and nitrogen and trace elements — the balance goes off, which creates a niche for cyano to bloom.

If the story is flipped and you are starting out with something wrong that you're trying to fix then you have a different story, but it is still unlikely that amino acids are the answer.

But even if they are the answer, your water should have plenty of amino acids in it from the active feeding your fish and the fish excreting the proportions that they don't require.  

Much like us, they use a lot of their food just for energy (carbon source) and end up excreting the other parts (which include amino's)...which are then available to corals and other photoautotrophs in the form of pee, poo and detritus.

Same brand, different product....I think vegetarians like to use it as a salad dressing or something.

I personally have not gotten cyanobacteria, nor have I used thatbrand –  if you keep the dose small enough (tiny) it's possible.  But then you may as well just let corals use the "leftovers" from fish feeding.  I still have my bottle of amino acids but this is the reason that I stopped dosing them into my tank.

But examples of aminos->cyano should be copious if you do a little Googling.

There is nothing inherently beneficial about dosing amino acids.