Top Shelf Aquatics

Desigining a mount for light fixtures using Aluminum

bpipher

I had two ideas I'm bouncing between, but I'm having a hard time knowing exactly what I should buy to accomplish them.

I've seen these two videos involving 80/20:

And this thread involving more easily obtainable 3/4" aluminum square tubing:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2622878

I like the 80/20 idea more, but navigating the correct parts on 8020.net is a real pain.

What I was thinking was something like this here:

525971288_8020plan.png.49d202c22d6f24b22cdbb7c15d4adcef.png

And then having the lights attach similar to video in the AI Prime iOS Setup where the usual rim mounts go on the 80/20 rather than the back glass itself. This means I'd have to use 1"x1" 80/20 bars.  I also figure I'd need some supporting piece for 8020.net to manage those right angles.  I think in all black 80/20 this design could look really nice after some T-slot covers and end caps (which I'm also still struggling to figure which is the right to buy)

The reason for all of this madness is that I want to avoid mounting my lights on the rim, and I don't want to actually hang them.  I debated building something that sits on the tank, like in the ReefCentral thread, but at 3/4" aluminum tubing it'll block the netting and it is something I'd also like to avoid.

Again my main issue in going forward with this is navigating 80/20 pieces. 😅

Thoughts?  Previous experiences?  Other ideas?

This wound up in the wrong forum, I moved it to DIY, feel free to delete it!