SaltCritters.com

Royal gramma and neon goby in a 10 gal?

cameron678

• 3 weeks later...

They get really big for that small a tank, hence LA's 30 gallon recommendation. 

Remember we're not here to pull off stunts (not most of us anyway), we're here to make the best home we can for the animals. 

It's only a matter of perspective, but don't think "how many fish can I stuff in per gallon".  That's miserly.

Instead think "how many gallons can I give each fish".  That's generous.  😉 

The neon goby is a MUCH better fit.   Clown goby would be another good fit.   

There are a fair amount of good potential fish for a 10 gallon...my favorite would be a congregation of Barnacle Blennies.

• Like 1

Neon goby, yes. Royal gramma (especially with another, similar-shaped fish), no. A clown goby might be a decent fit instead, or a shrimpgoby/shrimp pair, or maybe one of the tiny and non-aggressive blennies.

• Like 2
On 8/27/2019 at 5:16 PM, j.falk said:

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 4.15.51 PM.png

Just noticed their sizing...I've never seen a 3/4" basslet for sale.   

I don't have one in front of me to look at right now, but...

I'd almost swear I've never seen one under 3"....bigger than their largest size rating.

I think the smallest one I've ever actually seen for sale was (easily) the largest size they list.   Weird!

I wonder if pricing has followed the same trend?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Just noticed their sizing...I've never seen a 3/4" basslet for sale.   

I don't have one in front of me to look at right now, but...

I'd almost swear I've never seen one under 3"....bigger than their largest size rating.

I think the smallest one I've ever actually seen for sale was (easily) the largest size they list.   Weird!

I wonder if pricing has followed the same trend?

I just bought one on Live Aquaria that was around 1” maybe a bit smaller.  I’d post pics but he’s not out enough yet. 

16 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I just bought one on Live Aquaria that was around 1” maybe a bit smaller.  I’d post pics but he’s not out enough yet. 

That's so tiny!  Must've been cheap(er) then, eh?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Have you ever done a tank like this?

Never a tank that small.

Of my own, I've had three tanks over the course of the one system I've ever had.  Started with a 37 gallon on a 30 Gallon sump.  Within a couple years a 50 Breeder was added on.  No fish at all for the most part.

During one period of this configuration, for maybe 4-5 years, I did have a congregation of up to five Barnacle Blennies.

Here's a vid of mine (wish it was a better vid...no action 😞 ....there are a few good vid's about other salty stuff on my channel tho if you look.) 

You can see vids of other folks BB's here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=barnacle+blennies

FWIW:  About 10 years after commission, my whole system was upgraded into the current 125 Gallon "All In One", which has been in place for about a year now and just getting re-settled.  I do have a thread if you check my profile on it, but I think I need to get it moved from the All in One section to Journals...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Never a tank that small.

Of my own, I've had three tanks over the course of the one system I've ever had.  Started with a 37 gallon on a 30 Gallon sump.  Within a couple years a 50 Breeder was added on.  No fish at all for the most part.

During one period of this configuration, for maybe 4-5 years, I did have a congregation of up to five Barnacle Blennies.

Here's a vid of mine (wish it was a better vid...no action 😞 ....there are a few good vid's about other salty stuff on my channel tho if you look.) 

You can see vids of other folks BB's here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=barnacle+blennies

FWIW:  About 10 years after commission, my whole system was upgraded into the current 125 Gallon "All In One", which has been in place for about a year now and just getting re-settled.  I do have a thread if you check my profile on it, but I think I need to get it moved from the All in One section to Journals...

Oh man some of those video's are amazing, thank you so much for sharing that. Would look into getting some but appear to be Mexican. Will see what other Blennies usually come in a congregation 

• Like 1