SaltCritters.com

new arrivals

sadie

This is my first online fish purchase and I am so nervous, my fish are SO TINY!  I acclimated as directed, I chose the float method.  They have been released into my tank along with the tiniest cleaner shrimp I have ever seen!  I swear they were all born yesterday.  They say to keep the lights off for 4 hours, the room is dim as well (lowered all the blinds).

My question is how soon should I offer food?  I have flake and pellet, the reading I did suggested flake, a little bit 2-3xs a day.

I ordered 2 pajama cardinals and i have never had them before so I don't really know their behavior.  I know when I see them in the store, they just kinda float front and center. Not much movement.  These little guys are almost see through.  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, sadie said:

This is my first online fish purchase and I am so nervous, my fish are SO TINY!  I acclimated as directed, I chose the float method.  They have been released into my tank along with the tiniest cleaner shrimp I have ever seen!  I swear they were all born yesterday.  They say to keep the lights off for 4 hours, the room is dim as well (lowered all the blinds).

My question is how soon should I offer food?  I have flake and pellet, the reading I did suggested flake, a little bit 2-3xs a day.

I ordered 2 pajama cardinals and i have never had them before so I don't really know their behavior.  I know when I see them in the store, they just kinda float front and center. Not much movement.  These little guys are almost see through.  

I usually offer food right away. Some fish will be too stressed to eat but I like to let them know I bring the food. 😊

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

It sounds like you're doing everything right @sadie, keep us posted!

It's ok to wait until tomorrow to offer food. Just start slow and see how they respond, remember you can always feed more later! The cleaner shrimp will probably clean up anything the fish don't eat. If the shrimp gets to the food before the fish, you can try distracting the shrimp by feeding it directly first.

• Like 2

I was so nervous I called the place.  I felt much better after talking with them.   I have never had such baby fish before.  I offered them some flakes and they came right out of hiding.  They seemed interested, but didn't eat.  This morning I fed them again, they were eating something floating in the water.  I had all the pumps off so the flakes just floated up on top.  I pushed some of the flakes down with a toothpick and one bit at it as it fell.  So I think all is good.  They are very friendly and don't swim away when I approach.  The funny thing is my cleaner shrimp has not come out yet.  Usually they are all over the place and eat the flakes right off the top.  I'm sure he'll come out in time.

I think I am only going to order online- no more Petco!!  They never had a problem, no signs of stress (breathing funny, swimming funny etc.)  Just great looking fish from the get go.

The pictures are terrible because they are so small and I really had to zoom in, but here they are:  Not sure of the names yet- thinking of Spotty and Dotty or Polka and Dot or something totally different.  I will get to know them and then it will be easier to name.

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

oh and a full tank shot.  I think they are in the upper right corner.  They are soooo small!!

DSC_0042.JPG