Top Shelf Aquatics

What is going on with my rock flower anemone?

RedTheReefer

RedTheReefer

I only had for 3 days. I bought another RFA along with this one and it is doing great. If you think it's infected, should I maybe slice it in half to try and save it?

i have heard that most attempts to cut them in half are unsuccessful. unfortunately theres not much you can do. My guess is the foot was torn...did you get it from an LFS or an online shop?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

i have heard that most attempts to cut them in half are unsuccessful. unfortunately theres not much you can do. My guess is the foot was torn...did you get it from an LFS or an online shop?

I've heard the same thing. It can be done but usually not with good results.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, RedTheReefer said:

I got it from my LFS and unfortunately they don't have any livestock guarantee (says it on the receipt) but I never asked about it.

most say that but if you call them out (the foot was most likely torn) they may give you instore credit. No need to be mean to them, but RFAs, like all anemones, need to be removed very carefully or this is what happens. 

• Like 1

Yeah sorry. Unfortunately that foot is torn. I’m certain it happened when the LFS removed it for you. 

I haven’t had one make it when it’s foot is damaged. 

Also true you can’t cut rock nems. 

That will kill them .

Hopefully the LFS will give you credit. 

Yeah sadly I have to agree here, you should probably remove this animal from your aquarium as soon as you can. With damage to the foot the anemone will rapidly disintegrate and can pollute your water as it turns into jelly. I had this happen to the first RFA I ever tried - I damaged the foot while trying to move it around and the thing turned into mush. 😞

EDIT: If it's already pretty goopy I would just flush it down the toilet, but if you are concerned about it being alive enough to suffer I suggest euthanizing it in your freezer.

• Like 2

I'm surprised they had ripped it off whatever to give it to you.  When I buy them, if they're on the rock, I end up getting the rock itself.   I'll take that home and chip it down a bit then hang it upside down on top of a bucket.  The anemone will reach down a bit, and if you can get the water level to be right where the anemone can just barely touch it it'll drop off on it's own in a few minutes.  It's a process but it only takes maybe 20-30 minutes of prepping and watching for it to fall.

If they're ever attached to a smooth surface a credit card on the foot gently prying gets them off really easy without any hassle too.