Cultivated Reef

Which would you choose?

kwellens

Hi.  If you had choice of a used Red Sea Reefer 170 with stand, return pump, power head and sump with plumbing for $300 or would you get a new IM NUVO 25 gallon lagoon with pump, power head, sand, rock, filter tray, etc for $527; which would you choose?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kwellens said:

Hi.  If you had choice of a used Red Sea Reefer 170 with stand, return pump, power head and sump with plumbing for $300 or would you get a new IM NUVO 25 gallon lagoon with pump, power head, sand, rock, filter tray, etc for $527; which would you choose?

I’d pick the lagoon....... just because I like that size tank. 🤷🏻‍♀️😊

• Like 1

I'd go with the Red Sea Reefer 170 at that price. Lengths are similar and width differs by 3.5" for the lagoon. More water volume for the RSR 170 with the sump and  gives you more flexibility with equipment.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kwellens said:

For value?  RSR 170 set, hands down. 

Since this is posted in beginner's forum, the Lagoon will be a no-brainer as far as setting up and finding your way around the hobby.  most people on here started out with an all-in-one.  Less equipment = less complication = less confusion; IMHO.  

• Like 1

What is the condition of the red sea? I would be concerned of scratches or water damage to the stand if it is only 300. 

My IM 25 Lagoon is more beginner friendly than my red sea tank. 

The condition of the Red Sea looks to be good but I have not had a chance to see it in person.  May not get to in the near future because person selling lives on coast of SC and is evacuating ahead of hurricane.  I am leaning more toward innovative marine and may look at a Fluval 30 gallon for sale nearby.