Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Apex Jr pros vs cons.

NaturallyKait

NaturallyKait

What are the limitations of the apex jr as opposed to the current apex EL? I’m eyeing one up, but I’m not sure I fully understand the differences. I know there are some things that can be added on separately, like more outlets or other probes but what are some of the things that can’t be done with it at all? I don’t have a lot of equipment to control at this point, would I be able to connect my Kessil a80 to it or is that not possible with the jr? 

I read it doesn’t have the option for wifi, but then someone else said they did it. Does anyone know if it’s truly possible or not? 

NaturallyKait
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You can add wifi, you just need to buy one of those gaming wifi adapter things to plug into it. 

It is not compatible with Trident.

I don’t think that will ever be an issue really. If I ever get to a point where I can afford a trident I can afford a full apex too lol. 

I’ll have to look into the gaming thing. I’ve never heard of them before. 

5 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

I don’t think that will ever be an issue really. If I ever get to a point where I can afford a trident I can afford a full apex too lol. 

I’ll have to look into the gaming thing. I’ve never heard of them before. 

You can connect a Kessil but you will need the neptune to apex cable and a VDM module to add on. 

Basically the jr can do most things but you need to buy separate modules to add on. It can not do a ton right out of the box, hence the lower cost. It has a temp probe and 4 relay outlets,  

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You can connect a Kessil but you will need the neptune to apex cable and a VDM module to add on. 

Basically the jr can do most things but you need to buy separate modules to add on. It can not do a ton right out of the box, hence the lower cost. It has a temp probe and 4 relay outlets,  

Thanks for the info! I haven’t bought the spectral controller anyway for my kessil and it looks like the VDM is only a little more than that so not the end of the world that it’s separate. Good to know though! 

• Like 1

I bought a used apex jr for my frag tank then sold it after finding out I had to add a module just for monitoring the pH.  I ended up with a used orange label apex, it only costed $100 more than what I paid for the JR.  It would’ve costed more for the extras I wanted for the apex jr then getting a full apex, plus I get the eb8 outlet which was worth it to me.  I ended up using all the outlets btw.  

NaturallyKait
1 minute ago, Asureef said:

I bought a used apex jr for my frag tank then sold it after finding out I had to add a module just for monitoring the pH.  I ended up with a used orange label apex, it only costed $100 more than what I paid for the JR.  It would’ve costed more for the extras I wanted for the apex jr then getting a full apex, plus I get the eb8 outlet which was worth it to me.  I ended up using all the outlets btw.  

The second hand market is a lot slower in Canada unfortunately so used controllers aren’t as common to find. I did find a Jr which is why I’m considering it. 

2 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

The second hand market is a lot slower in Canada unfortunately so used controllers aren’t as common to find. I did find a Jr which is why I’m considering it. 

You may want to check out eBay, the classic/orange label are re-selling for around $200.  Some may be able to ship to you.  

NaturallyKait
1 minute ago, Asureef said:

You may want to check out eBay, the classic/orange label are re-selling for around $200.  Some may be able to ship to you.  

Sometimes they will but by the time I pay the currency exchange, shipping and duty it doesn’t really save anything over the Jr + extra parts.