Cultivated Reef

Jose's First Reef - Waterbox Cube 20

JoseClimaco

Hello Everyone,

I apologize beforehand about my writing, English is not my main language.

This is going to be my first saltwater tank, i thought it was a really good idea to create a Journal, so i can have a project timeline and at the same time get some help from more experienced reefers.

My initial idea for the tank was the Fluval evo 13.5, but after some trouble finding one in Portugal i started looking for something else.
To be honest i couldn't find any tank with similar size in Portugal, so i started searching in Spain and found a store with a really good deal on a Waterbox Cube 20 and i pulled the trigger.

Equipment list:

• Stand: All Pond Solutions 45 Cabinet
  • Lights: Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro G4
  • Skimmer: Reefloat Micro Skimmer
  • Heater: Fluval E-100
  • Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.0
  • ATO: Autoaqua Smart ATO
  • Monitoring: Seneye Reef
  • Wave Maker: undecided

Still undecided between Nero 5, MP10 or the aqamai KPS and i would love some help. Is it worth the extra money for the Nero 5 or MP10?

Aquascape:

• Rock: Two little fishies Stax 20
  • Sand: CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink

Media:
I'm not sure yet what i'm going to use and i would appreciate if someone would help me in the correct direction.

I have a the following:

• Chemipure Blue
  • Marinepure GEMS
  • Bag of Carbon (Came with tank)
  • Bag of Bio Balls (Came with tank)
  • Filter Sock (Came with tank)
  • Sponge (Came with tank)

I was planning to use the Filter Sock, Chemipure Blue and Marinepure Gems and skip the things that came with the tank. What do you guys think?

Cycle:
I got the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kit and later i realized that i should be using live rock with this kit, that's why i'm getting some temporary live rock from my LFS to help the cycle.
For testing i'll be using the Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit and a Unbranded refractometer.

At the moment i'm doing my rock scape, i'll be posting photos soon to get feedback.

You would make my day if you could give me a little direction on the Wavemaker and Media.

Thank you in advance

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 hours ago, JoseClimaco said:

Hello Everyone,

I apologize beforehand about my writing, English is not my main language.

This is going to be my first saltwater tank, i thought it was a really good idea to create a Journal, so i can have a project timeline and at the same time get some help from more experienced reefers.

My initial idea for the tank was the Fluval evo 13.5, but after some trouble finding one in Portugal i started looking for something else.
To be honest i couldn't find any tank with similar size in Portugal, so i started searching in Spain and found a store with a really good deal on a Waterbox Cube 20 and i pulled the trigger.

Equipment list:

• Stand: All Pond Solutions 45 Cabinet
  • Lights: Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro G4
  • Skimmer: Reefloat Micro Skimmer
  • Heater: Fluval E-100
  • Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.0
  • ATO: Autoaqua Smart ATO
  • Monitoring: Seneye Reef
  • Wave Maker: undecided

Still undecided between Nero 5, MP10 or the aqamai KPS and i would love some help. Is it worth the extra money for the Nero 5 or MP10?

Aquascape:

• Rock: Two little fishies Stax 20
  • Sand: CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink

Media:
I'm not sure yet what i'm going to use and i would appreciate if someone would help me in the correct direction.

I have a the following:

• Chemipure Blue
  • Marinepure GEMS
  • Bag of Carbon (Came with tank)
  • Bag of Bio Balls (Came with tank)
  • Filter Sock (Came with tank)
  • Sponge (Came with tank)

I was planning to use the Filter Sock, Chemipure Blue and Marinepure Gems and skip the things that came with the tank. What do you guys think?

Cycle:
I got the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kit and later i realized that i should be using live rock with this kit, that's why i'm getting some temporary live rock from my LFS to help the cycle.
For testing i'll be using the Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit and a Unbranded refractometer.

At the moment i'm doing my rock scape, i'll be posting photos soon to get feedback.

You would make my day if you could give me a little direction on the Wavemaker and Media.

Thank you in advance

:welcome: to Nano-reef!! That is a great tank choice. I just bought one myself and I love it. It's so easy to clean and maintain. The equipment looks perfect. As for the wave maker, I have the kps and it works just fine. My tank is actually bare bottom and much easier to clean.

I don't use the filter sock. I actually got an intank media basket and it fits right where the sock would go. I just run carbon and purigen and change every week with water changes. I run floss also.

I look forward to see what you come up with for a scape. Good luck with the new tank.

edit: Just make sure you do tons of reading since this is the first saltwater tank. Make sure you get a good solid maintaince plan and stick to it. Don't stock to heavy or too fast. Make sure you get that tank cycled before adding things to. Just a couple helpful tips for you.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

i was thinking about purchasing this tank....what are your thoughts on it?

The build quality is good and the price is great. I can't comment much yet because i'm still on the building phase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

:welcome: to Nano-reef!! That is a great tank choice. I just bought one myself and I love it. It's so easy to clean and maintain. The equipment looks perfect. As for the wave maker, I have the kps and it works just fine. My tank is actually bare bottom and much easier to clean.

I don't use the filter sock. I actually got an intank media basket and it fits right where the sock would go. I just run carbon and purigen and change every week with water changes. I run floss also.

I look forward to see what you come up with for a scape. Good luck with the new tank.

edit: Just make sure you do tons of reading since this is the first saltwater tank. Make sure you get a good solid maintaince plan and stick to it. Don't stock to heavy or too fast. Make sure you get that tank cycled before adding things to. Just a couple helpful tips for you.

Thank you.

Just had a look your tank thread, keep up the good work.

I've been reading for over a year, i think i'm ready to try my first saltwater tank, at least until something bad happens 😁. I'll take things slow, i'm not in a rush to add anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear @JoseClimaco

Firstly, welcome to Nano-Reef! You have come to the right place! You are going to love it.

Secondly, you writing is great 🙂 So, you you do not need to worry at all. Ok, so now let's address your points.

CIRCULATION POWERHEAD

• I personally have the Nero 5 power-head in my BioCube and I couldn't have been happier about the choice I made. You can check my journal for more info.
  • I love it the myAI app as it helps you program the power-head with ease. The flow options it offers and the ability to set the schedule for the day is really a fantastic addition.
  • I was considering the MP10 at one point of time, but once I got hands on with the Nero 5, there was no looking back. It generates a great flow, and provides a wonderful circulation pattern.

Now, I am not sure what budget are you trying to stay in. I have also used the Aqamai KPS, it certainly does the job. But I am not impressed with its app. The connectivity is over WiFi and not that stable. The programmability aspect certainly lacks a charm. That being said, it is a very compact and perhaps the smallest circulation power-head you can find in its space, and boy it can push a lot of water. I recently got a used one from my buddy and tried it for my Waterbox 7. I am happy with what it does for that small sized tank.

MEDIA

• I use the InTank media basket (both of my BioCube 16 and Waterbox).
  • Considering you are having a WB20, I can share what I do with my BioCube 16.
  • The InTank media basket has 3 sections:
    Top Section: Filter Floss (provides mechanical filtration)
    Middle Section: Little Purigen
    Bottom Section: Chemipure Elite
  • I have been running this combination over a year and its been great so far.

Hope I was able to provide some pointers for you to steer your thoughts regarding the circulation power-head and media options. Please post your aquascape pics soon, I am really excited to see it 🙂

Thanks!

• Like 3

Thank you very much @Krish87, you definitely helped.

I'm still really thorn on the wave maker. I have the Ecotech radion so the MP10 would integrate really well and everything would be controlled using the reeflink. But the Nero 5 looks really interesting and the KPS is cheap, small and does the job. I'll have to make a decision by the end of the week 😁

From my understanding the Chemipure Blue already has Purigen in it?

I might get a Media Basket in the future, but they are hard to come by in Europe, so for now i'll keep the filter sock and run Chemipure Blue.

Yesterday i got home and i had this box waiting for me:

IMG_7066.thumb.jpg.3639e423f869331617431eba7bf0e5f2.jpg

IMG_7067.thumb.jpg.05421ff120d7fa03c66a846b56693c2f.jpg

This rock looks great. I gave it a good rinse using tap water to remove loose bits and dust. Now is resting on rodi water for two days and after that i'll let it dry in the sun so i can start the rock work.

• Like 2

Today I started to play with the Stax rocks, after some tries, this was the best I could do.

I have enough space on all sides to fit my hand. I tried to create some caves.

What do you guys think?

IMG_7297.thumb.jpg.a0180a67a4871104e04f6035bfaeda45.jpgIMG_7298.thumb.jpg.a40ada76ba46d88ece1b6dc30d05d2fd.jpgIMG_7299.thumb.jpg.68e7b898a7aebfcdb45971aa1e6a44b2.jpgIMG_7300.thumb.jpg.efd512697cf6eac1e3997ac657a94ccc.jpgIMG_7301.thumb.jpg.48070052f7dc3d3ae2a16d8411c2ea83.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, JoseClimaco said:

Today I started to play with the Stax rocks, after some tries, this was the best I could do.

I have enough space on all sides to fit my hand. I tried to create some caves.

What do you guys think?

IMG_7297.thumb.jpg.a0180a67a4871104e04f6035bfaeda45.jpgIMG_7298.thumb.jpg.a40ada76ba46d88ece1b6dc30d05d2fd.jpgIMG_7299.thumb.jpg.68e7b898a7aebfcdb45971aa1e6a44b2.jpgIMG_7300.thumb.jpg.efd512697cf6eac1e3997ac657a94ccc.jpgIMG_7301.thumb.jpg.48070052f7dc3d3ae2a16d8411c2ea83.jpg

I like it, and it should be really easy to mount corals to all the flat spots on the stax rocks.. do you plan in bonding the rocks together at all ??? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

I like it, and it should be really easy to mount corals to all the flat spots on the stax rocks.. do you plan in bonding the rocks together at all ??? 

Yes, i'll be using Aquaforest Stone Fix.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Love the Stax rocks. I can never seem to find any in a decent price range in the UK. Nice scaping as well, corals and livestock should be happy.

You could always DIY a media rack from eggcrate and zip ties. 

I actually ordered from the UK. I'll PM you.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Wow! What a wonderful, workable scape - great work! I'm looking forward to all your updates - is it time to fill it up soon?  =D

Soonish i hope. I'm waiting for my Osmose system, should arrive soon. Initially i was going to use Natural Sea Water because i live near the beach, but i'm not experienced so i'm afraid to introduce unwanted things to the tank.

• Like 2

Safe call - it will help to be able to make your own, too - easier in the end I would think to have everything you need on site - I would be super tempted to use the natural water myself, too

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Safe call - it will help to be able to make your own, too - easier in the end I would think to have everything you need on site - I would be super tempted to use the natural water myself, too

Exactly, i'm still tempted, but i must resist, at least until i learn enough.

• Like 2

Today i received my Radion XR15w Pro G4, with the matching rms stand and diffuser. I did a quick test and i was really impressed, this thing can illuminate most of my living room 😱

IMG_7316.thumb.jpg.ccbb4f70ee9f6b35a68f09f672bb7463.jpg

• Like 2

Wow - I remember when getting into the hobby, everywhere on the internet, people were asking if you could use LEDs for successfully growing anything (aquatic plants, coral) - most people came to the conclusion that the LED industry was basically a waste of resources because they would never have comparable intensities as halides and VHO flourescents - lol! Welcome to the future, right?  :]

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Things are going slowly because of my personal life. 

I recieved the remaining equipement last week and i filled the tank with water. The scape changed a bit because i had a few problems with the cement. I'll post a few pictures soon.

I'm going to start the cycle his weekend and i'll get a few pieces of live rock to help.

The skimmer is quite small, i hope it works well

IMG_7612.thumb.jpg.9c46a0546ebc972db53b35fa8b1eab4c.jpg

see  you later

• Like 1