inTank Media Baskets

Need help with my torch

Clown79

I have a torch that was doing great and suddenly it's been acting odd. It was in a moderate flow area and moderate light.

Fed twice a week. 

The tentacles are constantly curling and it's not open.

Would this be due to too much flow, too much light or something I am not thinking of?

I don't like moving corals around but I did try a few different locations and even flow changes but it's still not opening up completely. My other corals are all great, including another torch.

Params are stable. Alk 8.7, ca 430, ag 1.026 n03 5, p04 0.06

First pic is what it looked like, second is now

20190721_185500.jpg

20190825_145802.jpg

Hello @Clown79 

I had the same problem. In fact, in my case, I also noticed that my Torch was losing its white tips on its tentacles. 

Just a few specifics to share:

Placement: Over a rock on the sandbed (lowest part of the tank)

Flow: It gets decent flow (and it has always loved it, never saw flow as a complaint)

Parameters: Alk 8.2, ca 425, sg 1.025

My Solution: I just left it to recover on its own. It took approximately two weeks and the tentacles started developing the white tips and it bounced back to normal.

You can find more details on this specific topic on Pg 10 titled "The Flame Lives On..." in my journal.

Thanks!

Is it possible there is something picking on it? Strange that one torch would do well and the other decline. Mine is placed mid level with lots of flow. Although if it is stressed it might prefer less flow. 

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Is it possible there is something picking on it? Strange that one torch would do well and the other decline. Mine is placed mid level with lots of flow. Although if it is stressed it might prefer less flow. 

The only thing near it is the other torch and monti cap.

Before I moved it, it was alone, the same issue was happening in that spot too 

I am very confused by this torch. 

• 2 weeks later...
classlesseagle3

I think there are some worms that can piss off torches. You could try dipping it to see how it does, or change tanks since it sounds like you ahve a couple. Torches can be a pain sometimes, and with other euphyllia, I've just tried different conditions with different surroundings and it seems to help whatever the cause is. Sorry, that doesn't really give you a definite cause but something to try.