Pod Your Reef

IM 25 Lagoon or IM 20 Peninsula

kwellens

I am getting back into the hobby after several years away.  Back then I had an IM Nuvo 30 cube tank.  I am having a difficult time deciding between the IM 20 Peninsula or the IM 25 Lagoon.   I know I want soft corals and LPS as well as some fish and invertebrates.  Any input on these two tanks or others I might consider?  There is also a used Red Sea Reefer 170 near me for sale.

It's certainly a difficult decision, but my vote goes to the Lagoon for sure. I just love the shape and depth of that tank, and its popularity ensures that there is a wealth of information and guidance about how to set it up, 'scape it, light it, etc.

Your final choice will also depend a lot on where you want the tank to be in your home. There are some situations where the big footprint of the Lagoon is a hindrance.

Thanks.  Since I only want softies and lps could I get away with just 1 AI Prime over the lagoon or something like a current USA orbit?  Could I use brackets for AI prime rather than hanging it?  

Ya, you could do 1 Ai. I ran mine with 1 ai for a year. I only added an additional one because I had it lying around and my aquascape/coral choices caused shadowing.

I run both at lower percentages.

You don't have to hang the AI. There are mounts for it too.

Would Current USA work well for softies and LPS in the lagoon or is it not enough light?  I don’t want to overdo lighting and bleach corals either.

watanabeireefer

Hello there!! 

I just set up the IVM 25 gallon Lagoon tank. I am very pleased with it, the dimension of the tank really allowed to maximize the design of my aqua scape. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I also posted some pictures of the tank with live stock in it yet. I just added some hermits, snails and a pair of clowns recently. Good luck 🙂

Went the the 25 lagoon as well (so recently its still dry, RO should get here  Wednesday...)  but my decision was driven by the spot I was planning on putting it in.  I have an L shaped nook in the middle of a large room, with most viewing from the front so I went with the lagoon. What's your intended location, and do you expect to be there for a long time?

I will definitely be where I am for the foreseeable future.  I was going to use the Peninsula as a small room divider between my living room and dining room.  The lagoon I would put against a wall in my living room.