ReefCleaners.org

125 gallon lighting options??

ConnorD42

Hey all! So I have a lead on a 125 gallon tank setup and pending the outcome of that situation I'm going to need some new lighting. If my eyes haven't deceived me with surrounding objects for size reference I'd say the tank is 72"x18"x24" (LWH) I like the idea of A360s or an AP700 (maybe even a bunch of a80s??) or some prime HDs, but also interested in a t5 hybrid fixture. Do you all have any suggestions? I'm keeping softies and LPS currently. Of course the idea is to attempt to find everything second hand if possible to mitigate the financial impact. Thanks!

1 hour ago, ConnorD42 said:

that's why I was considering looking for used equipment haha but I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Lol ya I have been buying used lights but the kessils 360s are about 200 used if you get a good deal.. you would want at least 4 of them probably 5.. check out reef2reef market place they have a lot more traffic through there so more equipment to search through.. good luck !! Happy reefing 😎

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, ConnorD42 said:

Hey all! So I have a lead on a 125 gallon tank setup and pending the outcome of that situation I'm going to need some new lighting. If my eyes haven't deceived me with surrounding objects for size reference I'd say the tank is 72"x18"x24" (LWH) I like the idea of A360s or an AP700 (maybe even a bunch of a80s??) or some prime HDs, but also interested in a t5 hybrid fixture. Do you all have any suggestions? I'm keeping softies and LPS currently. Of course the idea is to attempt to find everything second hand if possible to mitigate the financial impact. Thanks!

A360X times three.   That's on my 125 Gallon now.

Brace spacing is off for Ap700, and it's not that ideal for skinny, long tanks.

Smaller lights wouldn't really cut it in any kind of rational deployment.....to many cables, and mounts, oh my!

At this point, T5 is a declining fad IMO.  Yes it works as well as ever, but so does halide which is also on its way out.  Both for good reason.

A more interesting alternative to consider for something different from Kessils IMO would be the LED strips from the likes of Current USA (Orbit IC or IC Pro) as well as GHL, Orphek (which both have more length options I think) etc.

• Like 1