ReefCleaners.org

Bicolor Blenny Problem

dling

Ive been noticing some of my sps corals looking a bit ragged. Now I know why.

My bicolor blenny has been nipping at them. Any suggestions on how to remedy this. Catching it for removal

would mean removing everything from the tank. Not something I would want to do.

I used an old intank basket to catch a wrasse.. clipped some food in the basket and guy swam in and I closed the door.  Took me 3 mins after trying for days to catch him

Screenshot_20190824-093642_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3
On 8/25/2019 at 3:43 AM, FISHnChix said:

Maybe something cheap like this could work🤔. They normally have a hinged door on top..

tumblr_n7qggsTkkE1tf34aco1_400.jpg

please tell me this is just an image you found on google, not actually your land hermits. they need a heated 10+ gallon tank, fresh fruit, not pellets, at least about 6 inches of sand, natural (not painted as the paint is harmful) shells, 2 water bowls (one with salt water the other with fresh), a humidifier and a hygrometer. in that tank there theyll be lucky to live 6 months. in a proper setup they can live to at least 20 years.

How big is the tank?

How old is the tank?

Can I see a picture of the tank?

What are you feeding the blenny?  How often?

How long has the blenny been in there?

What else is living in the tank with him?

I added the trap Wednesday and was able to catch the Blenny early Saturday morning.

I'm very happy he's caught. He's killed one of my sps corals and was killing another.

20190907_084053.jpg

20190907_092714.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Just dropped off the bad played at LFS. Glad to be rid of it. Kinda sad ,very pretty fish.

Played well with other fish. Just not worth keeping at the risk of killing all my corals.

• Like 1

For future reference, bottle traps are easy to make, cheap, don't require shipping, and work very well. Just cut about the top fourth of a bottle off, remove the cap, and shove it into the bottle backwards of how it was before. Add some food and a few ventilation holes, lay it on its side, and wait. Works on nearly everything, the exception being gudgeon-type fish that tend to hover constantly an inch above the bottom. It even works on inverts. Or set one vertical outside of a tank and you'll catch houseflies!