SaltCritters.com

YzF old IM10. Mixed nano Reef.

YzF

Hi guys,

Been a member of this site for a very long time now. There was a long break from reefing until i got my nano tank quite a few years back.

Has always been a fan of nano setup but the issue was with equipment as most suppliers only make things for 'normal' tanks. But things took a turn a few years back with LEDs and suppliers making nano stuffs. Plus i got my own place.. So that it!

Anyway, I was going through my old pictures on my phone and i decided i should upload them somewhere, somewhere that has been around for a long time. Nano-reef.com!

There are going to have some picture of corals that i no longer have as well... crap.. memories..

It started out as a Zoa and Rics tank. Maybe its better to see a more recent shot first and then see how it progressed?

tank.thumb.jpg.3588efe045d08a9ae3476b467e86e506.jpg

Many of the pictures were taken by my cell phone. But lets start with some nicer pics.

P7110927.thumb.JPG.5ba881d5b8b0ef5cfce95dc3c46bbe5b.JPG

Pest.JPG

Closeup 4.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

As i said, It actually started out as a Zoa and Rics tank. But like all reefers, you tend to try something else too.

I better post some of the zoanthids for the zoa fans first.

UC3.jpg

Joker.JPG

Tequila Sunset.JPG

Fruitloop.JPG

• Like 3

The tank started off with AI Prime (when it sort of first came out, non-HD version). Although it was doing ok with the stuffs i was keeping, It wasn't really enough. 

I had a chance to grab a Kessil 360 so i tried that on my tank too. 

I basically hook it up with the AI prime just to see the differences. Oooo.. the shimmer from the kessil... still love it..

IMG_2896.thumb.JPG.c7204845b331858adfdc97ee4a018e08.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

• Like 3
1 hour ago, YzF said:

Hi guys,

Been a member of this site for a very long time now. There was a long break from reefing until i got my nano tank quite a few years back.

Has always been a fan of nano setup but the issue was with equipment as most suppliers only make things for 'normal' tanks. But things took a turn a few years back with LEDs and suppliers making nano stuffs. Plus i got my own place.. So that it!

Anyway, I was going through my old pictures on my phone and i decided i should upload them somewhere, somewhere that has been around for a long time. Nano-reef.com!

There are going to have some picture of corals that i no longer have as well... crap.. memories..

It started out as a Zoa and Rics tank.

Many of the pictures were taken by my cell phone. But lets start with some nicer pics.

P7110927.thumb.JPG.5ba881d5b8b0ef5cfce95dc3c46bbe5b.JPG

Pest.JPG

Closeup 4.JPG

Very nice pics!! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, xthunt said:

Very nice. Do you keep the light settings low? I have some utter chaos, and mine squint under the ai prime, don't open fully.

Thanks, and i dun exactly keep the settings low, you will see why later on so please remember to check back here! lol.

In my experience, there seems to be a few strain of UC. I melted 2 before i got one that is not that picky. So you might have got one of the picky type.

This UC sort of turn out to be a pest now. 

Some happy healthy zoas. Definitely got the system dialed in. I may have a picky strain like you said. They are fine under the current orbit lights, but something about the AI prime they just don't like. 

8 hours ago, xthunt said:

Some happy healthy zoas. Definitely got the system dialed in. I may have a picky strain like you said. They are fine under the current orbit lights, but something about the AI prime they just don't like. 

I felt that this was the healthiest period for my zoa. Maybe the nutrient level is not too low yet.

I did took down the AI Prime after a while and use only the Kessil cos its look silly to have both lights up there.. lolz.

With the upgrade of lighting system, i tried my hands on some LPS and SPS.

The good thing with nano is its small so it sort of control the spending. On the other hand, buying things is a pain in the a** cos most corals are too big for the tank.     

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2604 2.JPG

• Haha 1

A side view of the tank then. 

Then i started to load some SPS frags.

And i can't really seem to get the sticks to retain color.  

I was starting to feel Kessil 360 is not cutting it.

2011525358_Sidetankview.thumb.JPG.ca0727dc5546447d5ae6c3d75acb7c8b.JPG

• Like 1

So after maybe about 9 months on Kessil 360, I dropped the dough on Radion XR15.

Oh Man.. these things really do make me feel the pinch.. 

Then i faced with another issue as I am using the Ghost Skimmer, there is not enough space to fit the stand in! Another issue with nano tank! 

So i switched the mounting around and cut off the very long screw.  It worked!

And then i began another journey with the 3rd LED on the IM10.

HtpqU3j7SwiYV0Gtxqc5Vg_thumb_1c4f.thumb.jpg.f4dab8726ed68c4ec67215e7a9ef9c2a.jpg

RDcqXTvnSvujRJGH6F6HZQ_thumb_1795.thumb.jpg.944e01f9268b2159a57e5034b4d5509c.jpg

zQcQ8MpZRAu3adwL6av2LA_thumb_1793.jpg

• Like 1

How many of you has a webcam to monitor your tank especially when you travel frequently for work? Share your experience please.

I was using a zmodo. I feel that it works rather well for the price.

IMG_5780.thumb.PNG.97125d439bb7591c34fc72139043498d.PNG

So after a week or two with the XR15, the SPS started to show some development. SPS that has been in the tank for a long time under Kessil 360.

The changes in color tone develop rather quickly. I was pleasantly surprised. 

IMG_5667.thumb.jpg.0907cc7427cebca6d59ab78e6914cf02.jpg

• Like 1

Wonderful photos - what a fantastic collection! That acan is absolutely beautiful. It's so hard for me to choose one fish from them all... I would prefer setups to house each of them! Lol   Looking forward to more photos!