johnmaloney

Skeletor Mime Crab

johnmaloney

For those of you who are old enough to remember Skeletor from the He Man TV show, I found a mime crab that looks like him. Mime crabs are members of the Epialtus genus and close relatives. You can see why this guy blends in so well with coral rubble and white sand bottom. No species level ID yet, a lot of mime crabs aren’t photographed online to match them against and many new species are waiting to be named still.

Better pictures to follow. 

431F1F78-685E-4F1A-9950-D1BBB5DB8745.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

WV Reefer
4 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

For those of you who are old enough to remember Skeletor from the He Man TV show, I found a mime crab that looks like him. Mime crabs are members of the Epialtus genus and close relatives. You can see why this guy blends in so well with coral rubble and white sand bottom. No species level ID yet, a lot of mime crabs aren’t photographed online to match them against and many new species are waiting to be named still.

Better pictures to follow. 

431F1F78-685E-4F1A-9950-D1BBB5DB8745.jpeg

Sooo cool!

johnmaloney

I thought it was a molt at first. He stays so still when he isn’t eating it is hard to tell if he is alive. Then when he moves it is like one of those living statue performers. You do a mental double take. 😂

Just now, WV Reefer said:

Sooo cool!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Christopher Marks

That's a really cool find @johnmaloney! How's Skeletor doing this week? It must be hard to keep track of it outside of a bare bottom tank!

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 8/23/2019 at 10:56 AM, johnmaloney said:

I thought it was a molt at first. He stays so still when he isn’t eating it is hard to tell if he is alive. Then when he moves it is like one of those living statue performers. You do a mental double take. 😂

You planning on selling that little cutie?😍

johnmaloney

Only if I get species level ID on them, otherwise I think I found an area where not a lot of species are known or named and I want to "discover a new species", looking into that..at some point they have to be preserved I want to look for a match for awhile and then visit the local Smithsonian office before any of that. Did you know dozens of new species are found every day? I want to get a few to my name.  

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

Only if I get species level ID on them, otherwise I think I found an area where not a lot of species are known or named and I want to "discover a new species", looking into that..at some point they have to be preserved I want to look for a match for awhile and then visit the local Smithsonian office before any of that. Did you know dozens of new species are found every day? I want to get a few to my name.  

That’s really awesome. I hope you figure it out. That crab with maybe a mate of the same crab would be amazing in a crab only tank. If you end up wanting to sell him after everything, just give me a shout😁