inTank Media Baskets

Is this coral bleaching?

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

My brain frag as well as my chalice have been showing what I think is bleaching.  I run my IM Nuvo 10 with AI Prime HD on saxby's settings at a little less than 50 percent. The grow out tank at the aquarium shop was running radions.  I assumed his lights were stronger than mine but I asked him because he runs lots of blues.  He said that was during business hours,  I guess so the colors will pop better, but has more whites before they open.  The pic isnt great and it is actually not as white as the pic shows. Do you guys think this is bleaching.   I have lowered my intensity a few times at small increments to try to help the corals.

Screenshot_20190823-094212_Gallery.jpg

Both of those corals are low to moderate light and low to moderate flow.

Ai's are powerful. Running whites high can burn them just as much as blue.

I have seen more burning of coral with high white than blues.

Other factors are placement in the tank and nutrients. What are your p04 and no3 levels?

justinkdenny

Ok thanks.  So you do think it is bleaching?   The saxby setting I am using looked really bright even at 50%.  I may keep removing whites slowly for a while too.  Or I may need to switch to the brs ab+.  I know I'm not supposed to tinker with lighting alot but I'm afraid I just have too much.

I used Saxby settings on my 25g but I altered the percentages to my tanks needs. 

I went back to my own settings. I use ab+ but a bit customized.

My whites never get higher than 17% and only for a few hrs then it drops to 10%.

It may just be placement of the coral. Favia I have found like low light, my dragon soul is at the back of my tank where a monti cap causes shadows. 

When I had it in direct light, it did poorly.

Also high flow areas, they don't like that which can lead to the same thing. Flesh being removed from the skeleton.

justinkdenny
18 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I used Saxby settings on my 25g but I altered the percentages to my tanks needs. 

I went back to my own settings. I use ab+ but a bit customized.

My whites never get higher than 17% and only for a few hrs then it drops to 10%.

It may just be placement of the coral. Favia I have found like low light, my dragon soul is at the back of my tank where a monti cap causes shadows. 

When I had it in direct light, it did poorly.

Also high flow areas, they don't like that which can lead to the same thing. Flesh being removed from the skeleton.

I took your advise and relocated the favia to what I think is a lower flow lower light area of the tank.  I have also slowly been lowering whites and total intensity.   I have read that doing coral dip in bayer can make them more susceptible to bleaching.  Dont know if that is true or not.