ReefCleaners.org

Tank mate for Firefish and Coral Banded Shrimp

Surya

I am having a 10g FOWLR housing a Firefish and Coral Banded Shrimp. I am looking to add one more fish and need some stocking ideas.

Currently, the Coral Banded Shrimp always hides when lights are ON. The Firefish often gets startled and then hides.

So I am looking for something bold with personality which I can enjoy seeing all the time. Also as the Firefish occupies mid and top sections of tank mostly, its good if this new fish can occupy the bottom section.

I came across Hector's Goby and Blue Neon Goby but they didnt interest me much. Do you have any other suggestions please?

2 hours ago, Dutchymomo said:

You could try a tail spot bleny or some type of goby 

I was very much interested with the tail spot bleny but then came across some being aggressive with Firefish. If you think it is generally not the case, I can give it a try.

21 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Firefish are skittish, bold fish often are semi aggressive.

Bangaii cardinal, pj cardinal, chromis, 

I will consider chromis.

pj cardinal seem much similar to freshwater German Blue Rams which I adore the most for personality. So may not be doing this.

Blenny and firefish together may be an issue. Fish that have similar body shapes, colours, or areas they dwell in can have territory/aggression issues.

The bangaii cardinal is a really cool fish. Swims around and pretty different looking.

Royal gramma, pygmy wrasse are 2 other good options.

• Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll

I got lucky with my Helfrichi Firefish.  He’s always out and actually nips at my orchid dottyback once and a great while.

I would say a clown would be your best bet.  Some are hit or miss but he will always be out swimming around.

Thrassian Atoll
28 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The bangaii cardinal is a really cool fish. Swims around and pretty different looking.

If different you mean hideous.  😂 That and they don’t move much, they just kind of float in place.  At least I think that’s the bangaii.  Not as ugly as the pajama though.

19 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

If different you mean hideous.  😂 That and they don’t move much, they just kind of float in place.  At least I think that’s the bangaii.  Not as ugly as the pajama though.

U think the bangaii is ugly? Mine swims around, can get pretty quick too 

Seeing as theres a firefish in the tank, a fish that won't scare it or out compete for food, is the better option. 

Thrassian Atoll
19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

U think the bangaii is ugly? Mine swims around, can get pretty quick too 

Seeing as theres a firefish in the tank, a fish that won't scare it or out compete for food, is the better option. 

Yeah, just something about them from seeing them in the LFS.  

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Blenny and firefish together may be an issue. Fish that have similar body shapes, colours, or areas they dwell in can have territory/aggression issues.

Royal gramma, pygmy wrasse are 2 other good options.

Royal gramma interests me. Probably will be getting one.

1 hour ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I got lucky with my Helfrichi Firefish.  He’s always out and actually nips at my orchid dottyback once and a great while.

I would say a clown would be your best bet.  Some are hit or miss but he will always be out swimming around.

Lucky you on the Helfrichi Firefish. My firefish is not even there in my tank more than a week so hope time will make it more outgoing.

I had a Clown pair as my first saltwater fish but didnt survive for long. One went on hunger strike and died and the other one died the very next day in grief I guess.

Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, Surya said:

Lucky you on the Helfrichi Firefish. My firefish is not even there in my tank more than a week so hope time will make it more outgoing.

I had a Clown pair as my first saltwater fish but didnt survive for long. One went on hunger strike and died and the other one died the very next day in grief I guess.

I am not a huge clown fan but I like Picasso’s and recently really enjoy my Black Storm.  Great coloration.  A Helfrichi I had in the past was a huge wimp.  This one is really bold.  I guess it’s hit or miss on all fish.  My orchid dottyback is a big wimp and always runs and hides but I have heard that they can be the opposite.

29 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

A chromis may act as a good dither fish to help the firefish settle in and not be skiddish. A cardinal isn't a bad idea either. 

Cool. Its going to be between Royal Gramma and Chromis I think.

26 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I am not a huge clown fan but I like Picasso’s and recently really enjoy my Black Storm.  Great coloration.  A Helfrichi I had in the past was a huge wimp.  This one is really bold.  I guess it’s hit or miss on all fish.  My orchid dottyback is a big wimp and always runs and hides but I have heard that they can be the opposite.

Orchid dottyback looks cool but pricey for me 😞

1 hour ago, Surya said:

I almost made up my mind to buy this 😞

Royal grammas open their mouth and charge to defend their cave/area, generally not a lot of actual damage though, firefish can be shy so it just depends if the firefish will put up with shenanigans. 

Aquas-cape, length of tank and individual fish personalities will play a role. If the firefish tries to go near the grammas cave, the gramma will generally defend it. As long as the firefish leaves the grammas spot alone, then there is no issue. Grammas do not seek out to fight, they just want their space. 

15 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Royal grammas open their mouth and charge to defend their cave/area, generally not a lot of actual damage though, firefish can be shy so it just depends if the firefish will put up with shenanigans. 

Aquas-cape, length of tank and individual fish personalities will play a role. If the firefish tries to go near the grammas cave, the gramma will generally defend it. As long as the firefish leaves the grammas spot alone, then there is no issue. Grammas do not seek out to fight, they just want their space. 

My Firefish and Coral Banded Shrimp wherever they are out together dont share the same space. Firefish is a new addition and is shy still. Once it acclimates completely and see its behavior and if there is any space left for a Gramma to claim a territory, I will consider buying one.

14 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

ORA orchid is $40 I believe?

Looks like it is. Reading more on them now, looks like they can be semi-aggressive so not taking a chance. 

Snow_Phoenix

What about a sharknose goby or neon goby? Or GCG or YCG? All four fish choices stay small and are quite peaceful. And they're all perchers, so they won't compete for the same space/territory. If you're worried about a TSB misbehaving, but intend to get a blenny, you can try a barnacle blenny or a two-spot blenny. They're quite peaceful too, and not as nippy as the TSB. 

• Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll
14 minutes ago, Surya said:

Looks like it is. Reading more on them now, looks like they can be semi-aggressive so not taking a chance. 

Have you thought about getting rid of the Firefish?