inTank Media Baskets

My 10 gallon Diary

smokez01

Well, went to the fish store and they tested my water, everything is A-OK, so i purchased an astrea and a mexican turbo snail, really cool inverts, im getting excited watching these guys i cant wait till it all comes together

hey reefer, does fish empire sell nass and cerith snails? because beverlys dosnt and neither pet world, im going to be purchasing another astrea and hopefully if beverlys gets more inverts on wed like they say they will on thurs i hope to be adding a peppermint shrimp and a fighting conch, also lookingforward to buying 3 ceriths and 4 nass, if i can find them

the astrea was .99

astrea.jpg

the mexican turbo snail was 2.99

turbo.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I just ordered my clean up crew on line. I havent seen any lfs around here sell any. Im probably goin to get some community service hours at petworld even though I dont like it there because theyre corals always look bad. If you go to petworld talk to the guy named Mike. I have two mexican turbo snails and they are the best algae eaters ever. I just set up my 20h tank 2 month ago and I think I might be getting rid of the mexican turbo snails because theirs no algae left for them to eat. Im also thinking of getting rid of my emerald crab because I dont want him to die either and I think I have enough other hermit crabs and snails to take his spot. Let me know if you want my mexican turbo snails or emerald crab and Ill let you have them.

Well its a bit late now, i would have taken one of your turbos if i had known and didnt buy one today, lol

Yeah, he was the one i was talking to and hes the one who got me the astrea, damn i wish i knew you were gonna get rid of your turbos,

im in need of ceriths and nass, where did u order ur clean up crew?

I ordered mine from etropicals.com. I ordered that thing where you buy 60 dollars and get free shipping. You can still have my emerald crab if you want him.

• 1 month later...

OK guys from here on i will update from when i stoped updating, everything that i had received i had made new threads but now i will put it all together into my diary from when i first got them

10/19/2004

New Current USA 20" 2x40W w/ moonlight 103$$ With shipping.

Hey, Today I received my Current USA 2x40watt with moonlight, actinic switch, daylight switch, and a fan, and docking mounts, everything plus shipping was 103 clams, I felt that it was a good buy because they included docking mounts for free. And also the moonlight was included so I dont have to DIY one, which would have been fun but I could have used that 10 bucks for something else, same thing with the fan. But anyway, Here are the pictures of what it looks like, This is my first lighting fixture and I think everything is VERY nice, compared to the incandescant I was using.

Dual Actinic

2201Oct19612-med.JPG

Dual Daylight

2201Oct19621-med.JPG

Actinic/Daylight

2201Oct19618-med.JPG

Moonlight

2201Oct19619-med.JPG

Keep in mind the pictures take away alot of the way that it looks IRL, tho I thought they came out pretty good.

11/11/04

I ordered my first ever fragpacks.com order, I bought a 6 coral pack, a torch coral, and a pink fungia plate coral. They have excellent customer service on AIM, Jim was excellent to speak to online and gave me really good information on how to care for the corals and what types of lighting requirements, etc. Well I just received my first ever corals from FedEx. the Packaging was very well done and the corals were double plastic wrapped and sealed tightly.

Now onto the corals, the zoas and LPS that i received from the 6 coral pack are AMAZING, Very brightly coloured and in very good shape, all of my corals opened up just a few hours after acclimation!

My purchase was 108$$ for 8 corals, excluding shipping, and I received 2 FREEBIE mushrooms!

Here is the picture of when i received the package

2201Nov12627-med.JPG

Here is it opened and how he packaged it.

2201Nov12630-med.JPG

Here are my new corals accliamting!

2201Nov12631-med.JPG

And now onto the corals!!

With my order i received a Pink fungia plate, a FIVE branched torch for only 35 dollars!!, Rosy pink centered zoas, a Sun coral, PPE Zoas, Green rimmed with green centered zoas along with orange rimmed with orange centered, Rosy red mushroom frag and 2 greenish red mushroom frags, along with what seems to be a frag of a pinkish/light greened torch!!!

The corals are AWESOME!! ALL of my corals except for the sun coral opened up just a few hours after acclimation, the sun coral seems to be peeking out atm.

Here are the pictures, please excuse the quality as they look 50x better in person, for some reason my camera has not been taking good quality photos lately!

Here is my killer torch, FIVE branches, the thing is Huge!!

2201Nov12671-med.JPG

The pink fungia plate

2201Nov12672-med.JPG

Various zoas

2201Nov12662-med.JPG

Left side of tank, this sun coral really brightens things up!!

2201Nov12663-med.JPG

Left side of rock, the TWO FREEBIE SHROOMS underneath the fragged pinkish torch

2201Nov12669-med.JPG

my favorite Zoas, the PPE zoas, 5 headed frag!

2201Nov12670-med.JPG

and here is a full tank shot

2201Nov12682-med.JPG

Again, Please excuse the quality of the pictures, i know it takes away alot of the quality of how they look in real life

Thank you Jim, I am so please with my order that I will be ordering again from you guys in the future, It is such a deal to be getting 8 corals for 108$$, 1/4th of the price EVEN WITH SHIIPING of that if I would have bought corals from my LFS, and my LFS dosnt even carry these quality kinds of corals!,

I hope everyone has enjoyed my Fragpacks purchase and my photos, I highly reccomend them to any newbie just starting out as he they definatly hook you up and to anyone who has been into reefing for quite sometime as they will not be let down!!.

http://www.fragpacks.com

Wow...what a contrast...your tank went from empty to full just like that. hahah. good job! Your tank is well on its way now. Keep updatin those pics!

11/19/04

Nimble Nano - 13$$ with shipping from CJerome,

2201Nov25703-med.JPG

i was surprised at how small it actually was and the packaging was great, and once i started to clean my glass, my oh my, the thing is crystal clear!!, its amazing at how much alagae was on it before, i was still able to see inside and everything but now everything is so much clearer

11/26/2004

Dual-Temp Heater 5-20 Gal 100W (Marineland) 17$$-- FREE

p24910b.jpg

in need of a heater i asked my marine science teacher if i could buy a marineland dual-temp heater that was laying around brand new in one of her closets, and guess what, she said just take it!!, i was so stoked to get a 16 dollar heater for free,

the description is Dual-Temp Heater 5-20 Gal 100W (Marineland)

it is 8 1/2" long

i just hope that it fits inside the ac500 refuge that i plan to make!!

FALSE OCELLARIS AND HIGH FIN GOBY

Hi, This past saturday, 11/27/04

I bought a False percula and a High fin goby for 15 bucks each totalling 30 clams!

Clownfish

2201Nov28735-med.JPG

High Fin Goby

2201Nov28721-med.JPG

But something went wrong with my yellow CLown Goby, I dont have a single clue to what it could have been, for 5 days he was hiding behind the rocks, but when i fed he came out to eat, so i figured he was just shy. the last 3 days he had been heavily breathing and thought it would go away, He had finaly been coming out into the open, About 2 hours after i accliamted my clownfish and goby the yellow clown swam and then went belly up. I left him in the tank while i went to church and when i came back i could not find him anywhere, until my peppermint shrimp came out of his hole with a yellow fish =/, i decided since the food chain was working its way out to see if i could feed it to the fungia and boy did he swallow him whole!

2201Nov28728-med.JPG

some of you may think this as wrong, but it was either getting rid of it the most natural way or flushing him. i decided to feed my fungia.

wow, what an expensive meal...! prices range from $6-$20 for a yellow clown goby here :P

but you're right, it's all about the food chain, and what survives deserves to thrive and what doesn't shall become the eaten. RIP little goby

i was heart broken when i saw my yelow goby go belly up, i really dont know why, he was 10 bucks, that i could have saved if i knew how he had died or used it on something else

the only thing i can think of was heavy breathing

Well here's my story on peppermint shrimp, if anyone cares. Mine was fine from June through October and it grew from about a half inch to just under 2 inches. Then November hit and bam he turned evil. First he took out the emerald crab, maybe it died but he was caught eating it. Next, came 3 astrea snails. Then the major destruction-10 black turbos also known as margarita snails. This was it so i caught him and put him in my fuge, which is a 10 gal rubbermaid container. Two days later he is back in the main tank. errrr so then my dad and I spent 2 days on and off to catch him and finally took him to the LFS and got absolutely nothing but thanks for him. In the end he started to eat some zoos thats when it was decided to get him out asap. but his total damage added up to about $25 more or less. The pet store people said it was most likely because he was in a small tank.. excuse me but on this site 20L isn't really tiny for a shrimp... and he was fed every other day so he couldn't have been hungary. oh well thats my story I hope you liked it and i didn't steal your thread, The picture of your peppermint shrimp made me think of "shrimpy" and his days of good and bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived