Cultivated Reef

Newbie - Need help with automatic feeder or alternative

GrumpyDaddy68

GrumpyDaddy68

Hi all,

I'm new in the hobble; I have a 25gal FOWLR with 2 brand new clowns (tank has been running after cycled was completed for a few weeks now 3-4).

I'm going out of town for about 4 days (I could probably feed fish on day 1 and on day 4 when I am back; however there are two day in between).

I have read that some automatic feeders problems is that they cannot handle small amounts of food; right now, I feed pallets 'hikari marine-s' but it's just a few - because it's only two clown.

Does anybody know an automatic feeder that I can use to feed small amounts? 

Also, I used to have a 'fresh water' tank and I could just drop one of those pills to feed fish for 3-5 days. Does something like that exist for saltwater tanks (I have seen some that stick to the glass but not sure their name or if they are any good)?

Thanks in advance for all your advice,

Christopher Marks

Automatic fish feeders make me nervous. The worst case scenarios tend to play out while we are away from our aquariums.

If I were in your shoes @GrumpyDaddy68, I would just feed the fish on day 1 and day 4 when I returned. The clownfish can definitely handle 2 or 3 days without your feeding. Less risk this way, should something go wrong with an auto-feeder.

• Like 1
GetPsyched2124

This is what i used when I was gone for 7 days out of the country. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWKS65D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fed a good small amount for my 20 gallon, which at the time i think had just 2 fish, one being a clown. I agree that they can handle not being fed for 2 or 3 days just fine.

but if you really want to make sure they're fed, getting a feeder and only putting in one days worth of food, feed them yourself on day 1, have the feeder dispense it on day 3, and feed them yourself on day 4, they'll only miss out on food 1 day then. plus you won't have to worry about the feeder dispensing too much in the tank because there's only a days worth of food in it

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Automatic fish feeders make me nervous. The worst case scenarios tend to play out while we are away from our aquariums.

If I were in your shoes @GrumpyDaddy68, I would just feed the fish on day 1 and day 4 when I returned. The clownfish can definitely handle 2 or 3 days without your feeding. Less risk this way, should something go wrong with an auto-feeder.

@GrumpyDaddy68. Exactly as above. I've only ever used them on FW tanks and they Failed EVERY time. 

If you're that worried, friend, family, neighbour, colleague to feed the fish?

GrumpyDaddy68

Thanks for all your comments; I would probably feed heavy on day 1 and when I come back on day 4... I still don't trust the automatic feeders.

Thanks,