ReefCleaners.org

📍Hob filters

Bab65

Christopher Marks

What do you currently keep in your 65 gallon tank @Bab65? How long has it been up and running? If your canister filter contains biological filter media, you will need to be cautious about transitioning to something different. If you have a new or cycling tank, you can switch over right away.

The SeaChem Tidal line of hang on back filters are a newer design that is pretty compelling. It has an innovative surface skimming design that is helpful in saltwater aquariums. Alternatively the tried and true AquaClear line has long been a good and reliable choice.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Whats making you want to change? 

Idk  no one is recommending canister filter and this is my first tank and I wanted to be in the right place because there’s not enough space to add  sump system 

• Like 1
GetPsyched2124

If possible, i'd recommend adding the HOB and leave the canister running for awhile. that way you build up the beneficial bacteria in the HOB. Then after, maybe a few weeks, remove the canister filter or slowly tune the flow of it down over the course of a few days/week before removing it.  That way your system might be able to keep up with proper nutrient breakdown without losing a good chunk of it's biological filtration.

• Like 3

Seachem tidal. Awesome filter, best one I have used out of many hob's.

Aquaclear would be my second choice but the features of the Tidal are superior.

- sicce pump

- huge media basket

- surface skimmer(highly recommend)

- fully controllable flow

- its quiet

If you have liverock in the tank, you should have no issues switching filters unless you are using your canister for bio filtration.

Using sponges in hob's or canisters for bio filtration in SW, is not recommended. The liverock is a bio filter.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bab65 said:

Idk  no one is recommending canister filter and this is my first tank and I wanted to be in the right place because there’s not enough space to add  sump system 

My personal preference is an external filter. However had to use a HOB in the pico contest and had to buy a second. I'd use Live Rock Rubble and filter floss. Just stay on top of maintenance and they work fine. 

You'll see the term nitrate factory pop up with these but I think that just laziness of a few posters and the internet jumping on board

Thrassian Atoll
16 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Seachem tidal. Awesome filter, best one I have used out of many hob's.

Aquaclear would be my second choice but the features of the Tidal are superior.

- sicce pump

- huge media basket

- surface skimmer(highly recommend)

- fully controllable flow

- its quiet

If you have liverock in the tank, you should have no issues switching filters unless you are using your canister for bio filtration.

Using sponges in hob's or canisters for bio filtration in SW, is not recommended. The liverock is a bio filter.

I hadn’t heard of this filter before.  Looks pretty nice.

35 minutes ago, Bab65 said:

C8F2E8ED-7413-48A2-BBC9-55EA24E50215.thumb.jpeg.aa4f2f9f6cb97da0e3d3c155b8f263f4.jpegLights are not yet  installed i

E4BD581F-FCEB-4019-BE2F-B53932B09ED9.jpeg 

Dry rooks are arriving tmw  

Well once the dry rocks are in and you have completed the cycle with Dr Tim's the rock will be your main Biological filtration. This will act as mechanical filtration to remove particles from the water effectively polishing the water. 

I'd run it with Filter floss only. You could add products later if you wished. 

Main thing here is do you like the filter? Have you cleaned it before? Maintenance when you get used to it is about 10 minutes tops for me.

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Well once the dry rocks are in and you have completed the cycle with Dr Tim's the rock will be your main Biological filtration. This will act as mechanical filtration to remove particles from the water effectively polishing the water. 

I'd run it with Filter floss only. You could add products later if you wished. 

Main thing here is do you like the filter? Have you cleaned it before? Maintenance when you get used to it is about 10 minutes tops for me.