inTank Media Baskets

My greedy fuzzy dwarf lionfish

Chris Beddows

Chris Beddows

Hi guys!

I recently got a fuzzy dwarf lionfish that was very slowly feeding on frozen mysis shrimp but not enough for me to say he was fed....like 1 piece a day?(a piece meaning half a tiny frozen shrimp) after target feeding garlic enriched frozen shrimp..he just was not that interested.

After some research I decided to go live food in the way of feeder shrimp to see if I could tempt him to feed more.

So....

Yesterday i bought 20 feeder shrimp. 

Today there are 6 left....

My question is....is that a stupid amount for a dwarf to eat in that space of time ?

I was hoping he would feed but I didn't expect that amount...

Any advice or thoughts? 

Love to all x

Due to their sedentary nature and slow metabolism, adult lionfish should only be fed twice or three times a week.  Feed them until you see a slight bulge in their bellies, once you see this, you will understand my meaning.  We do, however, feed our juvenile specimens a bit more often since much of their caloric intake is used for growing.  A good feeding schedule for us has been to feed the adults Monday-Wednesday-Friday.  Our juvies typically get a bit of food each day between normal feedings.

Given the chance, many lions will overeat, sometimes to the point of regurgitation, which obviously, should not be encouraged.  In a short time, you will get a feel for how many food items of appropriate size make up a meal for your fish.

Overfeeding your fish on a long term basis will likely shorten its life due to hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver degeneration).  Additionally, owing to these fishes’ slow metabolism, large food items can sometimes begin to decompose in a lionfish’s digestive tract before it can be digested, resulting in bloating and death.  Don’t worry if this paragraph seems scary, it’s simply helpful to know.

Source: https://www.lionfishlair.com/care-guides/lionfish/

• Like 1
Chris Beddows

I thank you for your very detailed and informative reply. Very helpful to say the least. 

My lion is very young and seems to have an appetite which after reading your very informative reply I will be a lot more cautious of in the near future. 

May I ask your advice on how often and how many ghost shrimp I should be feeding him?

I only wish the best for my tanks and the inhabitants and after reading your reply you are obviously someone I can get sound and reliable information from. That to me is priceless so any advice you can offer will be both taken on board and greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

Xxx

Unfortunately I just cut and pasted that information from the linked site.  Read that article, it should help.

I feel that it still being young, I'd probably feed it six days a week (taking off one day every week).  I wouldn't leave excess live food in your tank as it will likely over eat.  If possible, keep your live food in another tank and just feed until you can see a small bulge in his tummy, eventually weaning it off of live food.  When he's older, you can cut it down to three feedings a week.

Chris Beddows

Ok great....just while I have you....

Say he stays on live ghost shrimp. How many is enough for a day? Say 2 a day or maybe 3 one day and then starve a day ect?

I'm just pulling this out of my butt, but I'd wait a couple of days after this big meal.  Then just watch his tummy as you feed him next time.  When you notice a slight bulge, that's his limit.  If feeding six days a week, I probably wouldn't feed him his limit each time.  There's going to be some trial and error involved.

I know there are members which keep lionfish on this site, I just can't remember who they are.  I suppose I could do a search.  I've never kept one, but have been tempted on several occasions.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Anano-reef.com+lionfish&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

• 1 month later...