inTank Media Baskets

Phosphate Hanna Checker Low Range or Ultra Low range

GrumpyDaddy68

GrumpyDaddy68

Hi all,

... I did several search but couldn't find an straight answer.

I have a 25gal FOWLR tank (in the future will be a 'reef'); what checker should I buy (Phosphate Low Range or Ultra Low range)... they are at the same price?

Thanks in advance,

16 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Ultra low, 9 times out of ten you'll never hit or want to be anywhere near the 1.0 phosphate cap on its' readings.

Regular Checker since 10/10 times you won't want phosphates to be near the zero on its readings. 😉😉 

But seriously, @GrumpyDaddy68,  it doesn't matter that much...both will work.  

Here's why:

The ULR model was made for maintaining ULNS (ultra low nutrient system) tanks.  They were quite fashionable for a while, but now it seems like most people have associated them (correctly in my opinion) with  generally poor results and specifically with growing dinoflagellates.

ULNS tanks strive to keep phosphate below normal healthy levels – they keep phosphate at zero, or near zero.  

For normal tanks that is a dangerous state to maintain as in the short term it promotes pest algae and eventually kill corals. 

The ULR model will work to test phosphate on normal tanks too but it just isn't necessary for them.  

If you hit 0.0 ppm on the standard model, then you know phosphates are "too low" (< 0.04 ppm) ...especially if you are also experiencing troubles with algae or corals.

The ULR model will tell you exactly how "too low" you are in a case like that, which may be interesting but not all that useful to know since you could know that with the regular meter too.  

The main use for ULR would be, as already mentioned, if your phosphate level was for example 0.01 ppm but you intended to try and keep it there rather than using it as a warning sign to raise phosphates as you or I (or most people) would.

• Like 1

Hold up, doesn't the website state the UL monitor can read up to .9 phosphates, or is that the normal one? I think even most tanks maintaining high nutrient levels still aim for sub to around 1 don't they? At the very least the ultra low can be used as a binary "do I need a water change" checker if you're aiming for 1.0 lol, which I was going to mention but the OP hasn't looked into ranges yet and doesn't plan on trying out corals soon.

Edited by Amphrites
I'm insane, or a bat
GrumpyDaddy68

I am new in the hobby and I don't plan to have an ULNS tank.

I have gone with the ULR just because there were a couple nuisances that were fixed on the latest model.

Thanks every body!!

• Like 1
GrumpyDaddy68

The range at Hanna's web site for the ULR shows as:

0.00 to 0.90 ppm

I won't have a low nutrients but this will keep me below 1ppm.

Thanks,

• Like 2