Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Strawberry Conch - died

MInanoTank

This morning I found my Strawberry Conch - unresponsive and covered by hermit crabs and nassarius snails.   He's been in my tank since early March.   As I'm sure he is dead - I've pulled him from the tank.

Couple of questions -

1) I know we don't know how old these inhabitants are when we put them in our tanks - but what is the average lifespan for a conch in a nano-reef? 

2) The shell is really cool - I would like to use it as a decoration of some sort ... how do you "clean" this?   

Often the reason they die in nano's, is because small tanks can't provide them with the amount of food or food source they need.

To clean, I soak in vinegar water for a few days, then let dry.

• Like 2

The conch was probably my favorite member on the clean up crew.   I would like to replace him - but if the tank isn't going support one, there's no sense in it.

As a side note - my nassarius snail population is exploding.   The other night I found 10 babies (maybe 1 mm big) crawling on the glass, as well as 4 slightly bigger (maybe 3-5mm big).    The original 2 large zombies are still in the tank as well.    Starting to wonder if all these zombies in the tank starved off the conch?

• Like 1

I have a fighting conch. I've had it for a few years. I had two at the beginning but one died. I believe as Clown said

there was not enough food . Sorry for your loss. I agree, the conch is my favorite of my clean up crew also.

• Like 1