inTank Media Baskets

Home Pico - Fluval Spec 3 (Thread Closed)

Ratvan

Right then,

Let me get this one started with a thread. I have finally been given the "go ahead" from SWMBO to start up a saltwater tank at home. I have been pestering for this for the best part of a year. She loved having the Clown (that I gave up on) and wants something else at home that isn't Freshwater or one of the various animals roaming free around the house (2 Cats, Rabbit, Chicken). We do plan to move shortly so i don't want to be moving a massive amount of water and livestock.  Well when I say go ahead, her exact words were "do whatever the f#ck you want!" So that's good enough for me.

I have had this tank for, 7, 8 years now, I purchased it shortly after it was released to house Betta Fish, Rice Fish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Pea Puffers (not all together) It was also briefly my backup Pico at work before I noticed that my desk was more cables and tanks then desk so I took it down and transferred everything over to my Pico and Nano. So since this tank has been with me so long I had to dismantle it to remind myself what I had done to it already.

Anyways Water Leak Test/Cleaning with White Vinegar 

20190817_135209.thumb.jpg.566653ade70a6d8409e85922ab1b339e.jpg

Equipment

Tank: Fluval Spec 3 (2.6G AIO)

Heater: 10W Preset (78F)

Pump: NEWA 606 Mini Jet

Media: DIY Media Basket with Filter Flossalso I have carbon laying around

Lights: Nicrew 6-Watt White/Blue LED  

Rock: 1KG Live Rock PLANNED

Sand: 1KG Live Sand PLANNED

Notes on Start Up

So this is going to be planned as a Budget Tank, I do want to revisit some of the corals that I had in my contest Pico as I did really enjoy those, and I now know what I need to expect when making additions to the tank (what to dip, in what and how much) I will be trying to keep away from "named" corals that are hyper inflated in price. 

Live Sand: So I want to go back to a substrate, I do miss the way that it looks and think that I can keep it a lot cleaner than previous attempts now that I know what can go wrong (H2S Gas Alarms) so do plan on keeping this very very thin, also not going to create any deadspots by adding eggcrate to the base this time. 

6W Nicrew Light I know from experience that this light is not very powerful and provides only a very very small amount of Blue to the tank, however I downloaded a LUX Meter and after some fiddling around with numbers I have figured out a possible coral plan. However It did get some really nice colours on some basic "brown" Zoas and Palys. So Might once again go with low light requirement Corals. Seem to remember that my Duncan loved this light as well, was always big and juicy

20190502_121819.thumb.jpg.804b0e618f77c34cf8a049e46bdfdc40.jpg

The idea is to get the tank up and running and slowly pass the maintenance and stocking to my Mrs and MIL as they both have expressed an interest in Saltwater tanks, I think that I will most likely look for a Yasha and Shrimp pair (also a reason for the substrate) 

I also have GSP and Xenia overtaking my 5.5G Indo Nano and would like to cut that back and spread the love around a bit. 

20190817_135221.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Right then,

Let me get this one started with a thread. I have finally been given the "go ahead" from SWMBO to start up a saltwater tank at home. I have been pestering for this for the best part of a year. She loved having the Clown (that I gave up on) and wants something else at home that isn't Freshwater or one of the various animals roaming free around the house (2 Cats, Rabbit, Chicken). We do plan to move shortly so i don't want to be moving a massive amount of water and livestock.  Well when I say go ahead, her exact words were "do whatever the f#ck you want!" So that's good enough for me.

I have had this tank for, 7, 8 years now, I purchased it shortly after it was released to house Betta Fish, Rice Fish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Pea Puffers (not all together) It was also briefly my backup Pico at work before I noticed that my desk was more cables and tanks then desk so I took it down and transferred everything over to my Pico and Nano. So since this tank has been with me so long I had to dismantle it to remind myself what I had done to it already.

Anyways Water Leak Test/Cleaning with White Vinegar 

20190817_135209.thumb.jpg.566653ade70a6d8409e85922ab1b339e.jpg

Equipment

Tank: Fluval Spec 3 (2.6G AIO)

Heater: 10W Preset (78F)

Pump: NEWA 606 Mini Jet

Media: DIY Media Basket with Filter Flossalso I have carbon laying around

Lights: Nicrew 6-Watt White/Blue LED  

Rock: 1KG Live Rock PLANNED

Sand: 1KG Live Sand PLANNED

Notes on Start Up

So this is going to be planned as a Budget Tank, I do want to revisit some of the corals that I had in my contest Pico as I did really enjoy those, and I now know what I need to expect when making additions to the tank (what to dip, in what and how much) I will be trying to keep away from "named" corals that are hyper inflated in price. 

Live Sand: So I want to go back to a substrate, I do miss the way that it looks and think that I can keep it a lot cleaner than previous attempts now that I know what can go wrong (H2S Gas Alarms) so do plan on keeping this very very thin, also not going to create any deadspots by adding eggcrate to the base this time. 

6W Nicrew Light I know from experience that this light is not very powerful and provides only a very very small amount of Blue to the tank, however I downloaded a LUX Meter and after some fiddling around with numbers I have figured out a possible coral plan. However It did get some really nice colours on some basic "brown" Zoas and Palys. So Might once again go with low light requirement Corals. Seem to remember that my Duncan loved this light as well, was always big and juicy

20190502_121819.thumb.jpg.804b0e618f77c34cf8a049e46bdfdc40.jpg

The idea is to get the tank up and running and slowly pass the maintenance and stocking to my Mrs and MIL as they both have expressed an interest in Saltwater tanks, I think that I will most likely look for a Yasha and Shrimp pair (also a reason for the substrate) 

I also have GSP and Xenia overtaking my 5.5G Indo Nano and would like to cut that back and spread the love around a bit. 

20190817_135221.jpg

“Do whatever the f*ck you want” is a ringing endorsement. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
18 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yes, her hutch is over the rabbits. Sometimes they get confused

Is it THAT different and shocking?

Yes, yes it is that different and shocking. Lol. I had chickens as a child, but the idea of them living with me never crossed my mind. 

Is it potty trained? 

I’m truly intrigued!

• Haha 3
Just now, TatorTaco said:

Yes, yes it is that different and shocking. Lol. I had chickens as a child, but the idea of them living with me never crossed my mind. 

Is it potty trained? 

I’m truly intrigued!

Nearly she is still in Nappies (Diapers)

Tikka.thumb.JPG.f3de8d77c0a6dab5204d416fcde2c1d6.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is absolutely incredible!

How old is she? Any drawbacks to having an inside chicken? Does she get to play outside sometimes?

Our city has restrictions on chickens since we live in city limits, but I’d imagine most of the rules go out the window for an inside chicken. 

Would you recommend one one as an indoors pet?

Sorry to derail the conversation. 

She is 4 months old at the moment, all the animals get to explore the back garden for a few hours a day weather permitting. I have to keep an eye on the Bunny though, he likes to try and eat anything that is poisonous to him. She's a Silkie so she doesn't crow and is very affectionate, I got her from a breeder. She apparently can't be bred due to some genetic deficiencies. She is funny as when she gets cold and is not in her hutch then she'll creep into bed with me, the mrs or the cats (her favourites) the Cats currently don't know what is going on and barely tolerate her. She chases and pecks them a fair bit which amuses me no end. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Nearly she is still in Nappies (Diapers)

Tikka.thumb.JPG.f3de8d77c0a6dab5204d416fcde2c1d6.JPG

She is so cute! 

What kind of bunny do you have?

Tank plans sound good, looking forward to seeing more.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

She is so cute! 

What kind of bunny do you have?

Tank plans sound good, looking forward to seeing more.

Stew is a Lop/Lionhead mix

20190526_111206.thumb.jpg.aedc7cac29e5c64ffaa57d428ca04cd1.jpg

Sleepy Stew

And for completeness my Cats (Brother and Sister)

Blossom Top Bed - Female

Gable Bottom - Male

IMG-20190819-WA0000.thumb.jpg.e7cf6cfc9a955f53e8b9114fdfb669ca.jpg

It is rare to see them asleep on their beds and not ANY other surface in the house, or the sink. They like the sink

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Stew is a Lop/Lionhead mix

20190526_111206.thumb.jpg.aedc7cac29e5c64ffaa57d428ca04cd1.jpg

Sleepy Stew

And for completeness my Cats (Brother and Sister)

Blossom Top Bed - Female

Gable Bottom - Male

IMG-20190819-WA0000.thumb.jpg.e7cf6cfc9a955f53e8b9114fdfb669ca.jpg

It is rare to see them asleep on their beds and not ANY other surface in the house, or the sink. They like the sink

Love them all.

I am crazy for cats and would love a bunny.

I don't know why we waste money on toys, stands, or beds for cats- they sleep everywhere but the cat beds and everything is a toy for them.

My one cat loves sinks too. 

20190819_102151.jpg

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

@Ratvan, my wife said no to me getting a pet chicken. I even showed her your picture. 😞

At least I still have the green light for reef tanks though. 

Well Tikka laid an egg on my lap this morning which was cool and gross. Odd picking something up still warm and wet. Forgot about that part lol. 

In other news I'm going to try and shoot for mostly or all LPS. Finally received a good Hammer in the post so feel a lot better about this option. Just need to address the lighting issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

My dog snuggles and sleeps with is at night but I have never heard of a chicken acting like that.  I think the egg thing is kinda cool you must make her feel safe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kimdawg said:

My dog snuggles and sleeps with is at night but I have never heard of a chicken acting like that.  I think the egg thing is kinda cool you must make her feel safe.

I'm all for free food and the fresh eggs are a great bonus, now I need a Pig to lay me Bacon every morning, that's how it works right?

So been window shopping for the Mrs and I to put things into this tank, we know already that we want this tank to be LPS heavy, due to the small display we both decided on movement and colours being the two most important aspects of the tank. We've also earmarked a few inverts that we would like to try in here as well. As well as the shop as you'll see from the pictures below 

Planned Livestock - Euphyllia - Movement and Colour

• "Burgundy" Branching Hammer
  • "Neon Green" Branching Hammer
  • "Blue Tip" Branching Hammer
  • "Pink Veined" Bubble Coral
  • "Electric Blue" Elegance Coral

Planned Livestock - LPS - Colour

• Various Duncans (Different Lash Morphs)
  • Various Acan "Lords" (These are less finnicky?)

Planned Livestock - Inverts

• Pom Pom Crab
  • Sexy Shrimp 3-5

h66a_compact.jpg.d0925f29f54acb394a0281616b03be85.jpg

hammer_h4_a_63668fbd-73fc-4cc2-95bc-7a31ea3549db_compact.jpg.bd2120a80b1969bcb3f322fff249d69b.jpg

h73b_compact.jpg.b4d51dfa286cff744ac0ea89d4bc8d59.jpg

bubble_b8a_03b3d48d-bee4-4752-a499-0cf40672d0b0_compact.jpg.b6f89ae4e97987d7f2e8fe79f0c9477c.jpg

cat_cf7a_compact.jpg.859f6809cb4d7b637000828680119462.jpg

small_duncans2_f749fe66-33f9-4247-9af0-d4c140e54d7a_compact.jpg.22e39a139adead58db100293a4dd0f87.jpg

image_acc3c77e-35e0-41b2-88b9-2e93be993c8d_110x110@2x.jpg.462cebfd4a7569f943d4c52f9f3a0b7e.jpg

• Like 1

So I think I speak for a lot of us here that we don’t mind you using this thread for your new tank AND chicken updates! 🙂

That’s incredible! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...