inTank Media Baskets

Good or Bad, anyone know what this is?

CDFjr

Is it a snail?  If so, can you (temporarily) take it out of the tank just to get a better picture?  Looks a little like a nerite sea snail.  But the pic doesn't make an ID easy.

4 minutes ago, CDFjr said:

It is soft, and hasnt moved.  It looks attached to the rock (growing or what?)  Ill get a better picture of it and upload it.

Good, maybe someone will be able to recognize it.

Could be a coral.  You might have to wait until it grows out a bit to see what it is.  At this point, I wouldn't be worried about it, and would let it be.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, CDFjr said:

I'm setting up a new tank and this is on the live rock I bought.

Any idea what it is?  Is this good or bad?

Thanks!!

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

Are there any “holes” or openings?

So I never figured out what that was on my rock, so I have just left it there to see if it grows or anything.

I also got some more live rock today and was wondering if this was red coralline algae or red slime.  I thinking it is coralline because it doesn't blow off with my powerhead and it is hard to scrape off.  So please let me know if I should get rid of this or not.

Thanks!!Image.thumb.jpg.056a037aa8ab1a0fde9e14237605d6b8.jpg

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, CDFjr said:

So I never figured out what that was on my rock, so I have just left it there to see if it grows or anything.

I also got some more live rock today and was wondering if this was red coralline algae or red slime.  I thinking it is coralline because it doesn't blow off with my powerhead and it is hard to scrape off.  So please let me know if I should get rid of this or not.

Thanks!!Image.thumb.jpg.056a037aa8ab1a0fde9e14237605d6b8.jpg

It looks to be coralline algae.  Where did you get the LR from?  Established reefer tank hand me down?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Txplicit said:

It looks to be coralline algae.  Where did you get the LR from?  Established reefer tank hand me down?

I got the LR from a LFS that has a bunch of cured live rock.  Same place that I got the rest of my LR from.

I would assume it is coralline algae because it came from the LFS, but I just wanted some opinions just to make sure 🙂

I haven't ever seen red coralline algae.  I'm liking it, if that is what it is

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, CDFjr said:

I got the LR from a LFS that has a bunch of cured live rock.  Same place that I got the rest of my LR from.

I would assume it is coralline algae because it came from the LFS, but I just wanted some opinions just to make sure 🙂

I haven't ever seen red coralline algae.  I'm liking it, if that is what it is

Unless your lfs has a very high end system to cure your lr, I think it maybe donated to the lfs from a reefer's old tank.  LR is usually just cured in a large water bin with a powerhead in a dark corner.  I can be wrong, but I doubt that coralline would grow in those conditions.  But hey, if it is coralline (which it looks very likely), you benefited! 😀👍

• Like 1

With LFS premium "cured" live rock, you need to carefully watch it. It can have anything on it, especially if it was traded from an old tank. Makes you wonder why a reefer traded the rock in for store credit at a pretty significant loss. If there is aiptasia on any piece in the bin, then yours will have it at some point. I have had decent luck with it, my LR for my current tank was the same type of rock. I have had to nuke three aiptasia so far, they didn't appear until months later. 

A magnifying headband with a light is my favorite reef tool. Fun to peek around with it at night with the light off, and invaluable for inspecting your corals, frag plugs and LR with the light on it. 

• Like 2
On 8/20/2019 at 8:34 PM, Txplicit said:

Unless your lfs has a very high end system to cure your lr, I think it maybe donated to the lfs from a reefer's old tank.  LR is usually just cured in a large water bin with a powerhead in a dark corner.  I can be wrong, but I doubt that coralline would grow in those conditions.  But hey, if it is coralline (which it looks very likely), you benefited! 😀👍

My LFS has several large tanks worth of curing and cured Real Reef Rock.  Part of the cured rock tank is portioned off and home to their large anemones.   I don't recall ever seeing any dry rock though it may be with equipment or dry goods and I just never noticed.  

• Like 1