inTank Media Baskets

Mr.Smith

I'm looking into adding macroalgae to my first ever saltwater tank, an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10, and wanted to get some input from more experienced people. I use an Evo clip 3w light from Odyssea but am putting money aside for an AI Prime. Are there any traditionally beginner algae? Do I plant them in the sand or attach them to my rock work? Would my Clownfish or hermit crabs eat them? What site is the best for buying macroalgae? Thanks in advance!

phobos2deimos

Caulerpas will grow anywhere, sand or rocks.  Most macros are free floating and don't attach so you'll need to glue, fishing line, rubberband, or lead weight it if you can't find a place to wedge it.

Gracilaria hayi is a very easy grower and nice to look at.  Caulerpa prolifera is also excellent.

Clowns and hermits are unlikely to put a dent in any macros.

live-plants and reefcleaners are good places to buy (and me once my tank gets over this GHA outbreak! 😛 )

eBay has a lot of macros but you can expect a lot of subpar shipping methods and tiny portions to be the rule rather than the exception.

• Like 1

LA Reefs and live-plants.com have some really nice pieces but whether they're in stock or not is a total crapshoot. And yeah, caulerpa's are a really good beginner macro, I started with blade caulerpa (cauleroa prolifera) rooted in my sandbed and it grew really well under some par 38 bulbs before I branched out and added some more species. In my opinion macros are just as cool as coral and can make for some sweet looking displays, good luck finding pieces! Post pics when you get some! 🙂

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...