Coral Vue Hydros

Sicce 1.0?

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

Anyone use a Sicce 1.0 return pump in a IM Nuvo 10 with a spin stream.  My concern is that the pump will pump faster that the return can handle and it might run the 3rd chamber dry.  I have heard of people running the .5 but I would prefer to add a little more gph since the spin stream will dial it back some.

If need be, it might be possible to add a ball valve to lessen flow.  I'm not sure how much flow through the back of an IM10 is recommended.  It sounds reasonable from somebody who knows nothing about it.

• Thanks 1

I run a Sicce .5 with a spin stream on my Nuevo 10. Simply throttle the flow on the pump by moving the flow switch to low and you’ll be all set. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
justinkdenny

Thanks guys for your advise.  

13 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I run a Sicce .5 with a spin stream on my Nuevo 10. Simply throttle the flow on the pump by moving the flow switch to low and you’ll be all set. 

Do you feel like the spin stream really throttles it back?

I’ve had too few previous tanks to really say yes or no.

It’s the only flow I use on my softy/lps and I’m very happy with it. 

Id take a video for you, but the lights are off and my stepdaughter won’t stop talking. Lol. 

• Haha 1
justinkdenny
4 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I’ve had too few previous tanks to really say yes or no.

It’s the only flow I use on my softy/lps and I’m very happy with it. 

Id take a video for you, but the lights are off and my stepdaughter won’t stop talking. Lol. 

Lol.  A video would be awesome later when the lights are on.  If I waited for my daughter to stop talking,  I would wait forever. Lol

• Haha 1

Will do. They should come on around 1:40pm CST. I had a Jebao powerhead in there, but the flow was too much for my shrooms so I took it offline about a week ago. Everything has really taken off since then. One of my mushrooms even split!

I added a YWG on Friday in an attempt to raise my nitrates too.

• Thanks 1
justinkdenny
50 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Will do. They should come on around 1:40pm CST. I had a Jebao powerhead in there, but the flow was too much for my shrooms so I took it offline about a week ago. Everything has really taken off since then. One of my mushrooms even split!

I added a YWG on Friday in an attempt to raise my nitrates too.

Thanks 

@justinkdenny, here’s a video. The macro placed directly in front of the pump obviously blocks the majority of the flow, but that’s what I was going for anyway. 

Sweet baby Jesus, turn your volume down. Stepson was being a moron. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
justinkdenny
12 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

@justinkdenny, here’s a video. The macro placed directly in front of the pump obviously blocks the majority of the flow, but that’s what I was going for anyway. 

Sweet baby Jesus, turn your volume down. Stepson was being a moron. 

Thanks.  Looks like you have good flow with no dead spots.  Thanks again for the video!

I didn't realize, when I first responded, that the flow rate was adjustable.  And it's the same size with the same inlet/outlet sizes as the Syncra Silent 0.5.  So it should be fine.

• Thanks 1
BearTheSquare

I’ve been running a sicce 1.0 in my IM 10 for about 5 months now with no issues. I still use the stock return nozzle so I can’t really weigh in on the spin stream, but I don’t think it would be an issue. Plus, like @seabass said it is adjustable (I keep mine on full) so you can dial it back if you think it’s too much. I can try to get a video of it later for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Oldfishwife said:

Wow, tatortaco - good looking tank! Thanks for posting that video. I was worried the .5 might not be enough, but it obviously is. 

Thanks. Maybe it’s the angle, or the fact that the video is only a minute long, but I’m  disappointed in it because I feel it looks like hot garbage. Trying to raise nitrates to encourage ricordea growth. It looks very sparse in person, but that big macro helps and I’m really counting on that toadstool to open up more and fill it out. 

• Like 2
On 8/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, TatorTaco said:

Thanks. Maybe it’s the angle, or the fact that the video is only a minute long, but I’m  disappointed in it because I feel it looks like hot garbage. Trying to raise nitrates to encourage ricordea growth. It looks very sparse in person, but that big macro helps and I’m really counting on that toadstool to open up more and fill it out. 

Well, I think it looks very good! I’m going to modeling my new tank after yours and a few others I’ve seen. Love the softies and lps movement. I do think I’m going with a dialed back 1.0 just in case I want to do a few sps later. 

• Like 2
On 8/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, justinkdenny said:

Thanks guys for your advise.  

Do you feel like the spin stream really throttles it back?

Yes. The spin stream cuts flow- a lot.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, Archetype said:

I have used the Sicce micra with the VCA random flow generator in my IM 10 with awesome results.

The rfg nozzles are awesome! 

justinkdenny
35 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The rfg nozzles are awesome! 

So Clown79,  would you recommend the VCA over the spin stream?  They look pretty cool.  My only concern was that someone online , when I was researching the VCA said on a nuvo 10, there wasn't enough room from back to front of the tank for the VCA to really work as intended.   Your thoughts?  TIA

4 minutes ago, justinkdenny said:

So Clown79,  would you recommend the VCA over the spin stream?  They look pretty cool.  My only concern was that someone online , when I was researching the VCA said on a nuvo 10, there wasn't enough room from back to front of the tank for the VCA to really work as intended.   Your thoughts?  TIA

I use them on both my 25 lagoon and 10g nuvo.

Definitely recommend them. I have a spin stream, its sitting unused in a box. Tried it on various tanks.

I personally didn't like the spin stream. It cuts the flow, is noisy, bulky. The rfg's make no noise, have no breakable parts, not obstructive, and offer random flow at all times not just when a mechanism turns.

justinkdenny
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use them on both my 25 lagoon and 10g nuvo.

Definitely recommend them. I have a spin stream, its sitting unused in a box. Tried it on various tanks.

I personally didn't like the spin stream. It cuts the flow, is noisy, bulky. The rfg's make no noise, have no breakable parts, not obstructive, and offer random flow at all times not just when a mechanism turns.

You sir may have just changed my mind!  Do you happen to have a video of the VCA in action on the nuvo 10?