Top Shelf Aquatics

Live rock or Life rock?

Oldfishwife

I plan to start set up for my new nano in about a week or so. It’s a 10 gal Nuvo Fusion cube that’s going to be softies, some lps and a couple of small fish. I’m thinking a brightly colored goby and maybe a purple fire fish or royal gramma. I have 10 pounds of Caribesea Bimini pink sand and plan to add 8-10 pounds of rock.

The last time I kept a tank there was no such thing as “life rock”. We always used live rock. The nice lfs near us only has live rock from tank breakdowns and it’s mostly base rock. I can travel a bit to get good stuff, but is it worth the effort or is “life” Rock a worthwhile investment? I know it has fake coralline and is supposed to be full of beneficial bacteria. Is it really? Does real coralline develop or is it inhibited by the fake coloration?  Tia!  

2 hours ago, Oldfishwife said:

I can travel a bit to get good stuff, but is it worth the effort

When has going the extra mile ever been worth the effort?  😉 😄

Real live rock is still the best option for the same reasons it was the best option last time you kept a tank.  There are "alternatives".  They "can work".  Even at that I'm not sure they make for an apples to apples comparison.

You might see if the more-local store takes special requests and maybe they'd order you some live rock. 

If not that, since you have such a small tank maybe consider making your own rock shapes from some of their live rock?  If theirs really is unusable as-is, then break it up into buildable pieces....lots of possible strategies in putting the pieces together.  This is possibly the best way to get the in-tank shape you want even if it's some extra work.  (Dead rock comes with extra work too.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

When has going the extra mile ever been worth the effort?  😉 😄

Real live rock is still the best option for the same reasons it was the best option last time you kept a tank.  There are "alternatives".  They "can work".  Even at that I'm not sure they make for an apples to apples comparison.

You might see if the more-local store takes special requests and maybe they'd order you some live rock. 

If not that, since you have such a small tank maybe consider making your own rock shapes from some of their live rock?  If theirs really is unusable as-is, then break it up into buildable pieces....lots of possible strategies in putting the pieces together.  This is possibly the best way to get the in-tank shape you want even if it's some extra work.  (Dead rock comes with extra work too.)

I’m sure it does, though I’ve never used it. For one thing, vastly extended cycling period. I’ve never had cycling take longer that 2 weeks with good live rock and a nice, plump cocktail shrimp. I don’t know if people still do that, but it worked well back in the day. 

• Like 2

I used life rock for the first time for my 22gal. I have to say it was the best decision I ever made. My main concern was to avoid pests that could pontentially be on live rock. Ive dealt with the worst kinds last time around. Everyone has their own preferences. I am crazy about having a clean tank look. To each their own. Yes it took about 2 months to cycle, even after adding live beneficial bacteria. But hey they keep telling me “Patience is key!!”

• Like 2

Ive had live rock of all kinds and loved it.  You do get some unwanted pest and some really cool critters, tunacates, worms, all kinds of cool stuff. Maybe some unwanted algae or plant life too. 

If you go that route get airplane rock, meaning shipped directly to airport and pick it up yourself. Alor live rock is hands down my favorite out of all live rock. Its expensive tho.

Im using life rock now and love it, get the life rock shapes if you go this route. No pest great insta color and eventually it will get covered in coraline like all rock does.  

For a Nuvo 10 i would get a 20 lb order of life rock shapes. 

Now I want some Alor live rock.... 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1

I've used both separately or mixed.

Live rock has a lot of beneficial life on it. If cured needs no cycling, often shorter cycles unless it's full of decaying matter.

Liferock is my first choice for dry rock. Love the shape, great colour, breaks easier if you need to break it, and its injected with bacteria. 

Another option is use a mix of both.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, 748S911 said:

First pic is 40lbs of life rock, second is 40 lbs of life rock shapes. 

I loved my life rock so much, I also got the shapes. 

59953E61-A970-4ED7-8127-580F4E5472AD.jpeg

A612F8AA-615B-4426-8185-E19AE504DDCD.jpeg

Hello!  I just want to ask you how the liferock is doing?  I just recently moved my reef from a 12g into a 40g, the extra room requires more aquascape, but i really dont want to add any more wet liverock because I have plenty of bristleworms and vermetid snails already.  Would you recommend liferock?  Is it a good idea to get the shapes and the regular for more choices in sizes and whatnot?

3324A791-EA86-48DE-8629-30DEA94AAFCA.thumb.jpeg.d56d52ec8444bb5bdc4f0f5b6c2c8b4e.jpeg

• Like 1