Goats n Monkeys

I Like Beer

Goats n Monkeys

And that's true so apologies for the clickbait title but I actually do dig the crafts that finally inspired me to get around writing this. OH, btw, I have a 16-G biocube that I would like to introduce to this wonderful wacky online world of squirmies: So, as the pic displays, there ya have it. These are my squrims and here are my reads:

• Alk = 5.1
  • Ph = 8.3
  • Ammonia = 0 (yeah bitches!!)
  • Nitrates = 20 ppm (ok never mind, I suck)
  • Nitrite = 0
  • Calcium  = 420
  • Salinity = 1.0295

I am wondering why the ol' Nitrates spiked and ponder if it's a correlation to the green hair algae influx that I started rackin up ever since I reversed the light cycle a few months ago. Yes, so their daytime is actually nighttime and that's because I'm not going to buy an overpriced chiller, nor fork over an extra $150/month in elec to keep the casa under 78, so as far as I'm concerned they're essentially dealing with jetlag and they can hack that. 

help.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Daniel91

Welcome. Looks good! What are you measuring your salinity with? 1.029 is quite high, so either that number is off or you might want to slowly lower it - everything looks happy though 🙂

ConawayCorals

OFF the subject your clown looks sassy lol but your tank looks lovely  🙂 

• Like 1

Goats n Monkeys

Thank you! Yeah that is a lil high and I try to keep it around 26-27 but this heat has been evaporating agua like crazy. I add a cup or two of fresh each morning but I don’t wanna add more each time to give it wild salinity swings

20 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Welcome. Looks good! What are you measuring your salinity with? 1.029 is quite high, so either that number is off or you might want to slowly lower it - everything looks happy though 🙂

Goats n Monkeys
18 hours ago, ConawayCorals said:

OFF the subject your clown looks sassy lol but your tank looks lovely  🙂 

Haha! Thanks! He/she is sassy and that’s another issue I gotta deal with. See, I hover a plugged-in hair dryer over the tank every other day as an ominous reminder that I am god and they are serfs because negative reinforcement is an underrated cultural building block.

But it may be backfiring. Meh, whatever. 

FISHnChix

Fool me once...

and budlight is better.  Nice start welcome to NR... happy reefing 🤙😎

Goats n Monkeys
4 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Fool me once...

Bud Light is better? GET BEHIND ME SATAN!!

4 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Fool me once...

• Like 1

FISHnChix
10 hours ago, Goats n Monkeys said:

Bud Light is better? GET BEHIND ME SATAN

tenor (8).gif

• Haha 1

Juno
13 hours ago, Goats n Monkeys said:

Thank you! Yeah that is a lil high and I try to keep it around 26-27 but this heat has been evaporating agua like crazy. I add a cup or two of fresh each morning but I don’t wanna add more each time to give it wild salinity swings

That's really quite high. Seems like all is going well, however. I'm finding that having a glass or plexi lid is preventing all my evaporation and I sit stable at 1.025. I keep the A/C on 76 or 77 and it runs room temp because I'm using LED's. My last go round, I had hot halides and the switch to LED has made this whole hobby so much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Goats n Monkeys
On 8/17/2019 at 7:38 AM, Juno said:

That's really quite high. Seems like all is going well, however. I'm finding that having a glass or plexi lid is preventing all my evaporation and I sit stable at 1.025. I keep the A/C on 76 or 77 and it runs room temp because I'm using LED's. My last go round, I had hot halides and the switch to LED has made this whole hobby so much more enjoyable.

Yeah I have the plexi lid but I'm not about running my house under 85 because I don't have insulation nor double-pane windows so doing so would entail a $300+ elec bill that can be better spent at happy hour. Even if I did set the a/c in the 70s it couldn't sustain that temp setting in summer due to the above two reasons. That's why I'm a fan of fans, which results in the high evap but, like you said, the high salt oddly has been working out for me. If anything, I noticed my coral growth took off once I cracked 27.