vqreefer

Is My Heater Bad after being out of water?

vqreefer

I was sitting by my tank trying to get pictures of my new fairy wrasse and he jumped out into the back chamber. I started pulling things out to get him and saw that in the return pump chamber there was almost no water and my heater (Via Aqua) was exposed. After unplugging everything, my water level dropped a little over half an inch. Should I replace the heater? I don’t know how long it was exposed and if it came on in that time. 

F296D106-4366-44FF-81AA-17DB96C89496.jpeg

4C406817-8253-48DD-AC6B-DE3922DB7D5E.jpeg

Manning7987

Are there any cracks in the heater? assuming it it a glass heater

Manning7987

I see the pic now looks like the heater shattered if that’s the case I would replace it ASAP. I could be wrong but that’s what I would do. Would take any chances.

patback

I would replace it to be safe.  I personally would get a quality titanium heater and a good controller to keep it in line. I'm not a fan of glass and issues that can come with them, but that's just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Manning7987

I fully agree. Upgrade your heater. If it was me I would put an inline heater in looks like you already have a canister filter.

• Like 1

vqreefer
2 hours ago, patback said:

I would replace it to be safe.  I personally would get a quality titanium heater and a good controller to keep it in line. I'm not a fan of glass and issues that can come with them, but that's just my opinion. 

I’ve been planning on getting an inkbird for redundancy. 

2 hours ago, Manning7987 said:

I see the pic now looks like the heater shattered if that’s the case I would replace it ASAP. I could be wrong but that’s what I would do. Would take any chances.

It’s fully intact. The tank is an AIO so I’ll probably just move it to the middle. It should’ve been there to begin with but I had a ton of media in there (mostly gone now). What would be a good replacement? I’ll get better pics of the heater later or tomorrow but how would I know if it is ruined or not? 

• Like 1