Coral Vue Hydros

What’s living on my Flipper?

NaturallyKait

NaturallyKait

Noticed a bunch of these guys today while cleaning my glass. It’s next to impossible to get the camera to focus on something so small for a photo so I apologise for the quality. The video shows it much better. Some sort of tiny worm, friend or foe? 

E38548F7-3816-46E1-A54D-07F068919C00.thumb.jpeg.47e34b4bb47ddd70e2693923c8490980.jpeg

It’s the white thing in the bottom left corner of the felt pad on the flipper. 

A51EB386-3CA4-4B90-A802-F432F0985B31.thumb.jpeg.08fdfe97eb0abafbfa23598ea2143aae.jpeg

65D9546B-7DAE-4C3E-9BB3-D0D6DA281970.thumb.jpeg.ad6d1a76ea3dac1a45c1e7f4495cebee.jpeg

video:

https://imgur.com/a/o3oXSiL

NaturallyKait
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Can it swim? Sorry video doesn't work for me

Ugh I wonder if the video not working is my fault. I changed it at the source, I wonder if it works now? I wish we could post videos here like we can photos. 

As for swimming, I don’t think so? They seem to slither along the bottom of the cup they’re in now and they’re living in the felt pad of the flipper. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Ugh I wonder if the video not working is my fault. I changed it at the source, I wonder if it works now? I wish we could post videos here like we can photos. 

As for swimming, I don’t think so? They seem to slither along the bottom of the cup they’re in now and they’re living in the felt pad of the flipper. 

My firewall freaks out with a lot of hosting sites and servers in the USA so I doubt it. 

Google "Epitokes" I think that's what it maybe. Which would be gross and cool at the same time.

NaturallyKait
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

My firewall freaks out with a lot of hosting sites and servers in the USA so I doubt it. 

Google "Epitokes" I think that's what it maybe. Which would be gross and cool at the same time.

Well those images were weird. These guys seem completely smooth though, not spiky like the pictures I found. 

NaturallyKait

Bristle worm spawn. Well the swimming lavae stage anyway

Ohh interesting. I wonder where they came from. I started with dry rock and the sand was technically bagged “live” sand but it expired 5 years ago so surely everything was long dead. Bristles are good guys though right? Help the CUC?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Ohh interesting. I wonder where they came from. I started with dry rock and the sand was technically bagged “live” sand but it expired 5 years ago so surely everything was long dead. Bristles are good guys though right? Help the CUC?

IF they are Bristles yes. This is the gross bit btw. How they breed.

"the worms break in half; the tail section (the “epitoke”), bearing reproductive cells, swims to the surface, where it releases eggs and sperm. Tens of thousands of epitokes swarm and release gametes simultaneously," Encyclopædia Britannica

LFS water? New tank additions in last 2-3 weeks?

NaturallyKait
Just now, Ratvan said:

IF they are Bristles yes. This is the gross bit btw. How they breed.

"the worms break in half; the tail section (the “epitoke”), bearing reproductive cells, swims to the surface, where it releases eggs and sperm. Tens of thousands of epitokes swarm and release gametes simultaneously," Encyclopædia Britannica

LFS water? New tank additions in last 2-3 weeks?

Ahh nature, gross and fascinating at the same time. 

I mix my water myself using distilled water from Walmart, always have. I’ve added a crab in the last few weeks, but that’s it. We don’t have any coral yet, just fish, crabs (hermits and an emerald) and snails. Could they hitch in on livestock like that?

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

🤷‍♂️ guess so? 

So weird. So I guess I’ll just put them back in and let them do their thing and hope they’re bristle worms? I doubt I could get rid of them anyway, there’s dozens in the felt. Gross. 

• Like 1

That felt on the Flipper is like ungrazeable algae... all sorts of things like to live and breed in it! That's part of the reason I decided to keep mine out of the tank when I'm not using it. That and I was afraid of the blade rusting and leaching oxides into the water. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
9 minutes ago, billygoat said:

That felt on the Flipper is like ungrazeable algae... all sorts of things like to live and breed in it! That's part of the reason I decided to keep mine out of the tank when I'm not using it. That and I was afraid of the blade rusting and leaching oxides into the water. 🤷‍♂️

I keep mine in one of the back chambers of my evo, blade up out of the water because the rust part occurred to me too. The felt was in the water though. It never occurred to me that anything would live in it. 

• Like 2