Coral Vue Hydros

Pico guys & Gals....

KimmyB75

So, here is the idea (still in the planning stage till Friday). I was able to pick up a Fluval Spec AIO 2.6g for dirt cheep with everything including the light. I have discovered this morning the cause of the damage to the tentacles on my Sebae nem. PEPPERMINT SHRIMP!!!! I caught the little monster grabbing onto a tentacle to snack on before the lights started their sunrise ramp up. This is most likely why it is having a hard time settling down in just one spot and staying put. Since the skunk cleaner sticks pretty close to the nem he jumped on the peppermint and beat it up pretty bad till it retreated back across the other side of the tank. Now that the Aptasia issue is taken care of and gone, they are nibbling on the Seabae. I have 3 Peppermint in there that I can make a soda bottle trap to catch them. I was thinking of taking the 2.6g and adding a small 1" substrate with a rock from my current tank and move the shrimp in there since I do not have a sump. How much harder is a Pico to run than what I am doing now? I am researching as much as I can because I have got to get these shrimp out before I have a dead nem. No plans to put anything else in there other than a chunk of rock and the 3 shrimp and scraping of my huge GSP.

• Like 1

You're running a 40B?

Picos can swing pretty fast in terms of pretty much everything. However using water and rock from the 40B would certainly help settle things. 

Dont be fooled. It's no cheaper when you add corals either. I know you said GSP only but.... give it time

I learned SW with the Pico contest so I came at this a different way lol

LOL I did see this contest while searching for info on Pico tanks. I am pretty sure it isn't going to be easy which is why all I want it for is those 3 pesky Peppermint shrimp and some of my GSP. My other corals go into my 40B since all I have in there right now is:

10 head of Zoa (unknown type, but pretty) on a piece of rubble rock

2 head of Candy Cane

1 Gigantic island rock of GSP to itself although I have found patches of it in other places

and 1 head of Hammer coral

I want to build up the 40B before attempting to add more to the 2.6g and if I do add more than GSP to it, it will most likely come from whatever grows in the 40B. I plan to be adding Frogspawn and a few more of the Hammer family except for Torches due to their reach and of course no 40B is complete without a few more varieties of Zoa!!! I just really want those pepps out since I caught one trying to eat tentacles on my Sebae which has now confirmed where the tentacle damage is coming from. 

• Like 1

Oh, and yes the plan was to pull the substrate and rock with the water from my 40B so I wouldn't have to wait for it to cycle to get those little monsters out, IF that will work. I would think that it should work just fine honestly. There is way more substrate in the 40 than there needs to be so it will not hurt to pull a few cups full.

• Like 1