Mark L.

Non-Jumping Fish Recommendations

Mark L.

I'm looking for fish suggestions in a 20g IM Panorama, more specific, fish that are not as likely to jump.  I don't have a lid on this tank (and would rather not use one if I can get away with it) because I really enjoy the clean sleek look of the tank without it.  Clowns are out (learned the hard way as I let my wife talk me into it even as I knew better) and definitely want a swimming fish (so no golbys)

Suggestions?

• Like 1

Clown79

Most can or will jump.

I've had gobies, blennies, clowns, firefish they've all jumped at one point. Mesh lid stopped clowns, the rest made it through. 

All it takes is a fish to get spooked and they jump.

Bangaii cardinals, chromis, damsels, filefish, royal gramma, are a few that come to mind for a 20g.

• Like 3

ninjamyst

Will second the banggai cardinal.  Fish to avoid are wrasse, blenny, and goby.  Surprisingly, most bottom dwelling fish are the biggest jumpers.  

Melfy77

Pufferfish are jumpers...learned it the hard way 😕

• Like 1

BlennyBoi
On 8/15/2019 at 2:01 AM, ninjamyst said:

Will second the banggai cardinal.  Fish to avoid are wrasse, blenny, and goby.  Surprisingly, most bottom dwelling fish are the biggest jumpers.  

i can agree that bottom dwellers are the biggest jumpers. i lost my falco hawk and (nearly) my bicolour blenny to carpet surfing. when i first added the blenny i dripped him for an hour, netted him, put him in the tank. he swam around for twenty seconds and then sprung out of the tank. i was there with a net when it happened. the second he hit the water when i put him back, he jumped into the overflow. took half an hour to get him out.

Aunduril
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:01 PM, ninjamyst said:

I can second the wrasse as jumpers.  I've lost 2 to this...one which made it through a hole that I still can't believe it fit through.