Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mystery Coral

Robert Popa

I’ve been up to my weekly maintenance as usual when I noticed something growing near my Xenia. I’m not exactly sure what this thing is, but I was hoping to get some assistance on identifying this organism?

A01AA4ED-99C7-40EE-86AD-48E3399DF864.jpeg

BA0C5DC1-096A-4E85-8439-A9D9B0AED65B.jpeg

• Like 1

Aiptasia anemone, there are various different threads and methods of getting rid of them but you definitely need to as they're quite a prolific pest.

I've found boiling lemon juice mixed with vinegar pippetted on them to be a great method of getting them to detach, then you can brush them off with a toothbrush (outside the tank of course, then you can rinse the spot off with tank water before putting it back in).

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Aiptasia anemone, there are various different threads and methods of getting rid of them but you definitely need to as they're quite a prolific pest.

I've found boiling lemon juice mixed with vinegar pippetted on them to be a great method of getting them to detach, then you can brush them off with a toothbrush (outside the tank of course, then you can rinse the spot off with tank water before putting it back in).

Wow, thank you for the heads up. I had absolutely no idea! I shall definitely follow your advice and deal with this nuisance. Just out of curiosity, could that mixture be harmful to my corals or other livestock?

• Like 1

Yes, apply it outside the tank in open-air and do your best to avoid letting it spill over onto your coral. Then when you're done rinse the spot and the coral off with a bit of tank water to keep it out, dilution in the main system will mean it's likely harmless, but there's no reason to take the risk. Another solution is aiptasia-x injectible solution or aiptasia lasers. 

• Like 1

Aiptasia x works well. Just turn off water movement, apply directly to aiptasia, leave for 10-15mins, turn water movement back on.

Aiptasia can move so sometimes it takes a few applications(over multiple days)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1