Top Shelf Aquatics

Converting Fluval Flex 6G / 34Lt

Nikk

Hello,

i bought a new tank to make a nano reef ( fluval flex 34litre). Problem is that i didn't notice that it was meant for freshwater.

Anyhow i was inspired by a post of a member here that converted his to  saltwater with a big success.

Just wanted a more detailed advice on how to do it. Firstly i need help about its light. I'm looking for a way to keep the lid on the tank and if possible not cut/drive screws on it.

So if you could guide me in a another solution? (maybe led straps of something?, not really good with diy crafts myself so the easiest it is to install it the better)

Also planning to add a nano skimmer that fits in its first compartment , wanted to know whats best to use on filtration on the second and third space.Third one will have the heater i guess,thinking to put some small live rock pieces too.

and lastly (for now) about the circulation, other that the stock pump, what to use? since its a small one and don't want it to mess the bottom or anything with high lt/hr .is it mandatory to use an air pump for extra oxygen? I thinks that all i need for starters. I st it up and cycling since yesterday so have some time ahead of me before i put the last gear inside

Thanks in advance

People have either cut a hole in the lid and used Ai Prime, retrofit kits, or they diy'd leds into the existing lid.

The easiest option is ditch the lid and use an led light fixture.

Fluval stock pumps, suck. Most upgrade, most likely an aqueon 400 would fit.

For added flow, any powerhead will work. There is the Evo pico by hydor. You could also do a controllable wave maker like mp10, jebao, or aqamai which you control the flow needed.

• Like 1

Any detailed guide for diying Leda inside the existing lid? I'm not very good with crafts so I need it as detailed it as possible in order to attempt to fix it. Primarily I wanted to keep the lid for a number of reasons I don't want to bother you here with.... 

2 minutes ago, Nikk said:

Any detailed guide for diying Leda inside the existing lid? I'm not very good with crafts so I need it as detailed it as possible in order to attempt to fix it. Primarily I wanted to keep the lid for a number of reasons I don't want to bother you here with.... 

I can't remember the layout of the tank but you could look into something like this,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tunze-Led-Marine-Chic-8811/dp/B075NLL8N5/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3BWXERF0A1CQT&keywords=tunze%2Bled&qid=1565795527&s=gateway&sprefix=tunze%2Ble%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-2&th=1

Works in air or submerged. Obviously you can get other colour combinations, and other manufacturers

Nothing yet, I hope someone will have something to suggest... In a aquarium I has a dozen years ago, I bought led strips 1m long (for a 240lt one) and they were already passed through a silicon "cannal" and all 3 of them were connecter to an external power adapter that had brightness adjust option in it. The whole thing costed like 50euros then so... I guess I need something similar for a smaller tank 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nikk said:

Nothing yet, I hope someone will have something to suggest... In a aquarium I has a dozen years ago, I bought led strips 1m long (for a 240lt one) and they were already passed through a silicon "cannal" and all 3 of them were connecter to an external power adapter that had brightness adjust option in it. The whole thing costed like 50euros then so... I guess I need something similar for a smaller tank 

You need leds in the proper spectrum.

I wish I could help with the diy but I have never done it myself with lighting.

You can do a search on fluval flex here and see what the members have done for lighting.