Coral Vue Hydros

More flow recommendations IM nuvo 10

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

Does most people just upgrade the return pump and add some type of random flow generator to the return or do you guys add some type of powerhead to the display? Thanks

if you can get enough flow through the RFG nozzle to get the randomness, then that would be enough. I haven't seen it being utilized in a nano yet though. In bigger tanks, I feel they extend a bit much and looks obtrusive.  

Adding an additional pump will create turbulence when it's flow crashes with the flow of the return pump. So it's a good idea to add one even though it may seem the return has enough flow, it'll be laminar.

I did both, I upgraded the stock pump and I added a small powerhead as I was trying to achieve some very specific flow for my Dendros.  I personally think having more options, even in the 10 gallon, is good as certain corals respond very differently in certain flow patters.

justinkdenny

I've been looking at the sicce Voyager nano.  Has anyone used this in a nano?  I would also see a benefit of having a powerhead in case it or the return pump went out, you would still have circulation.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

I've been looking at the sicce Voyager nano.  Has anyone used this in a nano?  I would also see a benefit of having a powerhead in case it or the return pump went out, you would still have circulation.

Should be more than enough for an IM 10. Just remember space is a premium in a 10 gallon so make sure you "visualize" the footprint of it in your tank.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

I have a Waterbox 7 Nano. I upgraded the stock pump to a Cobalt Mini 606. Really good pump. Take a look at it, if that footprint can fit in yours, then you are good to go! 

• Like 1

My 10g nuvo runs completely on 1 mighty jet pump and rfg.

When I upgrade to my 20g, I will run it the same way.

My 25 lagoon has upgraded pump, 2 rfg's, and an aqamai.

The flow that is generated from rfg nozzles is turbulent but not damaging.

Haven't run an additional powerhead in my 10g in yrs.

• Thanks 1
justinkdenny
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

My 10g nuvo runs completely on 1 mighty jet pump and rfg.

When I upgrade to my 20g, I will run it the same way.

My 25 lagoon has upgraded pump, 2 rfg's, and an aqamai.

The flow that is generated from rfg nozzles is turbulent but not damaging.

Haven't run an additional powerhead in my 10g in yrs.

Do you keep any sps on these setups?