Top Shelf Aquatics

~fiji cube 18.5 peninsula RFA build~

devaji108

Tank born on 9/4/11 at little before 5 pm where I filled it up with saltwater added fritz turbo start 900 and dosed ammonia to kick start the cycle.

I am excited to see this come together over the next few months to years. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

update time!

tank is cycled!! I had an issue with the API test kit forgot it goes not read below .25 on ammonia but the cold fritz kick but.  brought it back up to 2PPM and was 0 in 24 hrs. 

last week was busy on the new house reno, GF parents where in town so tank was on auto pilot. it's not a bad things as it gave it one more week of being cycled.
I added 5 drops of ammonia so the Bac. had something to work on prob. not needed but it's easier than "ghost feeding "

placed an order for the IM 326 return pump and the VCA's RFG this am so that will be in next week. I do hope it fits. it will be close. I am hoping with the RFG and the pulse mode the the RT I will not need a PH in the DT.

hoping to place an order of RFA this coming week!

• Like 1

Got around to doing a bit if work in the tank! Got the ATO set up was gonna go with a 2 gal glass cookie jar but I had a new 10 gal. With custom glass lid that I got just for this purpose. Did not fit in the stand but I was able to hide it behind a chair!

I don't even think the GF will notice

The Brs order should be here on Fri excited to try the new return pump and RFG!

image.thumb.png.0952261c27581c7142e29cc8c2419071.png

image.thumb.png.e210db43cb2c9d6ca54cc65a156e30d3.png

• Like 1

I have a bout 8 gallons of H2o in the ATO res, I know that is more than some would feel comfortable with. but i do evaporate quite a bit here.  I give it a few weeks and see how we are doing and will adjust as needed. be nice to get a cpl weeks out of it with out going to crazy with it. 

the ATO smart auto aqua has been a solid ATO so much better than the Tunze large one and the ATK. 

I will be getting an order from BRS on fri with the IM 326 return pump and the VCA -RFG excited to get that on the tank! 

• Like 1

Got some new toys...

image.thumb.png.c6998d5652ba8f6736373f80c5a39f99.png

Boy that was an epic fail...

I knew the IM  326 pump would not fit with the guard on but was pretty sure it would fit with out. Could not find the measurements online. So I ordered it along with the VCA GFG.

The pump is to big and can't fit the length or with as there is a baffle. Boo

And to top it off the Rfg does not fit the lock line another boo

image.thumb.png.927de4b257a82ee96c5a43bc024c5488.png

so close yet so far away..

image.thumb.png.f7169b821cb1b722eec5c2e8cf884f10.png

So that was an epic flow upgrade fail. 😞

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, itsamaybe said:

Dang it looks like it almost fit. Would it fit if you cut the plastic back a few thread lengths?

that was my 1st thought as well. cant cut to much tho as that is where the impeller attaches at. I would need a bit of space so the water can flow into the pump.

I am debating returning it for a sicce  or trimming it up would hate to ruin a nice pump  tho.  but I was really excited for this little guy. 😞  

• 2 weeks later...
update time!

I am working on the DIY lid as we speak pics of that soon.
it's a Thulle screen top with screen frame and corner keys with flanges..

But the EXCITING NEWS is I just placed an order for 20 ultra RFA!! woot woot .

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
13 hours ago, devaji108 said:
update time!

I am working on the DIY lid as we speak pics of that soon.
it's a Thulle screen top with screen frame and corner keys with flanges..

But the EXCITING NEWS is I just placed an order for 20 ultra RFA!! woot woot .

20! Nice!

Can’t wait to see what you get. Where did you order them from? 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
On 9/29/2019 at 5:00 PM, devaji108 said:

image.thumb.png.927de4b257a82ee96c5a43bc024c5488.png

What if it was put in at a 45? Like corner to corner?  Try jebao if you want a DC pump.  What size locline do you have? I know RFG’s come in a few sizes, I have the 1/2” and 1/4” models and there are plenty of adapters available too

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

20! Nice!

Can’t wait to see what you get. Where did you order them from? 

yeah me too. they will be here tomorrow midday.

I got em from soflow rubioscorals

4 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

What if it was put in at a 45? Like corner to corner?  Try jebao if you want a DC pump.  What size locline do you have? I know RFG’s come in a few sizes, I have the 1/2” and 1/4” models and there are plenty of adapters available too

I talked to the guys a fiji cube they said it was 1/2" however it must not be true locline brand. I am sure I will be able to find a way to make it work.

unfortunately there is a bubble trap baffle  in the way 😞 

I think the jebao small DC pump is the same  size.  bummer about the IM pumps as I really wanted the pulse mode.

• 3 months later...

got the RFAs in the tank I did loose one but most of them stay where I put them for quite a while. but a few had indeed wanded over the last 2 months.

here are some pics of them when a day or so after added them.

image.thumb.png.f9bb0cffec9e1591e024cd8f46b70744.png

image.thumb.png.81ca19110bc3f3b34585b27cf254ad8b.pngimage.thumb.png.aa5167dbcfd24ac5324abc07e7207dbd.png

• Like 4

well remember when I said I lost one of the RFA I think it caused a massive dump in the tank I did not get around to a WC for like 5 days. a week after I got a huge algae bloom...that lasted for 2+ months

I was manually removing it with WC + dosing vibrant just now staring to get thinking back to normal. that was a mess.  

here is a pic of the explosion:

image.thumb.png.c0b944441cee6c73f8ac63800f728b00.png

ugglies in full swing eh?

• Like 1

after 2 months of WC and dosing vibrant the (last few weeks maybe 3 i started to dose a few droops of ammonina to as there is not live stock in the tank other that the RFAS ) I started to see the alage turn white so I new i was winning the battle. so with this last WC a scrubbed the rocks with a tooth brush in the tank got most of it off and the tank is looking so much better!

top down pic during WC:

image.thumb.png.f54a0d4168e7d1ed7d3cc6028e7fd61e.png

tank after the WC looking so much better that algae was  really bumming me out...

image.thumb.png.e3b57f9e50cd684a5ddcaef4494e1b66.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Where is this lid you speak of?

uggg I need to order it. but now I want another nano for the NR  contest.   I need to get on it the cat likes to drink the saltwater :0

• Haha 2
This guy is extra salty
31 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

uggg I need to order it. but now I want another nano for the NR  contest.   I need to get on it the cat likes to drink the saltwater :0

🤔 another one?

• Like 1