Cultivated Reef

~fiji cube 18.5 peninsula RFA build~

devaji108

long story short last BF I treated myself to a nice new RS750XXL...so what the heck I am doing in the nano forum? that build stalled out as shortly after gettiing in tank in, my GF bought a fixer upper house 30 min. from us and not knowing what is gonna happen in my future we decided not to set up the 750...months went by reno tanking alot longer than it was supposed to. you all know the story so.

so that brings me here and now I have always loved RFA and dreamed of a build to focus on them.
after a week or more of thinking about a small couch side nano I just placed my order for a Fijicube 18.5 gal AIO
I was between the Fluval evo 13.5
IM 14/20
and the little ATO that came with the Rs750

all had there advantages and disadvantages but in the end I went with the Fiji cube peninsula love the foot print @ 24x14x13 it was the most appealing.
https://www.fijicube.com/collections/glass-all-in-one-aquarium/products/18-5-gallon-rimless-aio-glass-nano-tank-fiji-cube

This build is gonna rock......with rock flowers nems that is!

I should have the tank in 4-7 days.

as of now here is the plan...

tank: fijicube 18.5 AIO

lighting: AI prime HD with 3D diffuser

heater: 100W finexx ( already have )

controller: keeping it simple just use a inkbird temp controller. but could use my Apex if it ends up being some what close to the bigger tank.

flow: I am between upgrading the stock pump to a DC one with more flow and a RFG OR go with a reefbreders reef power 260 GPH wave maker.

rock: i will use real reef rock I have a 40br wet and live that I can use. prob. use 10#

stocking: lots of inverts

I hope to have 30+ RFA as the main focus, a few mini max nems as well.
~2x pom pom crab
~fire shrimp
~2X hermit crab
~porcelain crab
~4-6 sexy shrimp ( or more if I can find a good deal)
a few feather dusters
maybe a staghorn crab?
nem. clown shrimp? these guys look cool too

fish:
yellow clown Goby
purple fire fish

maybe a green mandarin will train to frozen but will sub. with hatch BBS with a modded Paul B feeder.

Let me know what you guys think so far. not sure 3 fish is a good idea or not but I see more in ppl evo 13.5.

pics of the tank to come when I get it in.

• Like 4

just got confirmation from fiji cube the tank shipped today! they even FB messaged we to confirm the address. so far there CS has been top notch!

also order 20# of real reef rock from premium aquatics. I have 40+ # live and happy in a holding tank (40br) for the 750 so I will have 60# to choose from. if I cant get a scape i like I am firing myself...lol

prob. only use 12-16# but hey it's all about the scape and not the # of LR anyway.

updates coming soon!

not much to update. tank is on its way! It's was in Omaha NB this AM.    UPS  said it  was only gonna take 2 days. I was a bit doubtful about that tracked it again today now it says end of day Friday. that still pretty fast  tho.

the real reef rock got shipped out yesterday. ordered form premium aquatics thought it would ship from CA but its coming from IL. so that's not scheduled till mon. guess I should have ordered it a few days before. oh well no rush.

in the mean time I can figure out my final fish and CUC  list. all tho I think I am pretty much got that down.

• Like 1

Well look what arrived today!
Kitty making sure it's safe.

20190815_131738.jpg

No unboxing video but here is a photo series. Not much info out there on these tanks so I thought I should document this build so others looking at the Fiji cubes Aio tanks have more to to go on.

Let the photo dump began...

not what you want to see...a nice gash in the box right though the fragile sticker 😮
20190815_132023.jpg

but the tank was OK!
20190815_132108.jpg 20190815_132319.jpg 20190815_132509.jpg

here is the mat. was hoping it was already attached like the red sea tanks. oh well another project.

20190815_132502.jpg

the goodies it comes with.
20190815_132600.jpg

• Like 1
Here is a few more pics:

Media basket. I think this will work great for filter floss. we shall see.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

15W -800LPH pump. I wonder how it will do??

DSC_0021.jpg

quite small @ 4"

DSC_0022.jpg

filter sock. don't think I will use this.

DSC_0024.jpg

plumbing...

DSC_0025.jpg

1ST FTS with all the goodies that comes with the tank.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

• Like 5

update time!

I ordered  the AI prime with 12" flex arm and the 3D diffuser. the other day should be here in a few days.  I felt the diffuser was a must to keep light spill in the room down.  

also ordered 20# of real reef rock nanao size it should be here today sometime. excited to start the scape.

i'll post pics of the rock when it comes in! things are moving forward.   

13 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Looking good! Following along.

Love me some RFAs! Have a bunch and need more! 

yeah I really love some RFA I hope to have 20+

any good deals on bulk RFA out there? I found saltcritters and soflow any other vendor I should know about?

I'll have to  check out your 45 shallow soon!    

got the 20# of real reef rock in today here is some quick shoots:

DSC_0056.jpg

even got a few small shelf pieces and some branch!

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg
  • Like 3

Getting rock already purple will make the RFAs really pop. I’ve been super happy with my order from Saltcritters. 

I would advise you purchase WYSIWG vs random purchases. I’ve done both and the latter was quite disappointing. However, it was only $8 so....you get what you pay for. 

I bought a pack pack of them once and received nearly identical flowers, so that was another lesson learned. No worries, as I just separated them between 2 tanks. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, devaji108 said:

yeah I really love some RFA I hope to have 20+

any good deals on bulk RFA out there? I found saltcritters and soflow any other vendor I should know about?

I'll have to  check out your 45 shallow soon!    

got the 20# of real reef rock in today here is some quick shoots:

DSC_0056.jpg

even got a few small shelf pieces and some branch!

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

Nice looking rock!  They are a great size for the nems to wedge themselves next to.  That's what most of mine seem to do.

I got most of mine from VIP reef at first.  They stopped selling them and I now get mine from @Got Corals They always have bunches of them and offer deals at times.  Sandy always gets me a good variety if I buy a pack of them.

You'll have to sneak over to instagram to see the 45.  Same username as here.  I had intended to start a tank thread here when I was transitioning out of my IM14 but never did. 

I've got the tank set-up for breeding them. I've lost count how many I have.  Probably  80-100 adults and juveniles.  I have tons of babies right now - probably close to a 100 of those too.

It's definitely an addiction.

• Wow 2
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Nice looking rock!  They are a great size for the nems to wedge themselves next to.  That's what most of mine seem to do.

I got most of mine from VIP reef at first.  They stopped selling them and I now get mine from @Got Corals They always have bunches of them and offer deals at times.  Sandy always gets me a good variety if I buy a pack of them.

You'll have to sneak over to instagram to see the 45.  Same username as here.  I had intended to start a tank thread here when I was transitioning out of my IM14 but never did. 

I've got the tank set-up for breeding them. I've lost count how many I have.  Probably  80-100 adults and juveniles.  I have tons of babies right now - probably close to a 100 of those too.

It's definitely an addiction.

oh my that sounds like an amazing tank I for sure have to check that out over on IG!  oh and if some of those baby nems need a home PM maybe we can work something out haha.

i'll also check out got corals. this build is going to be so much fun!   

3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Getting rock already purple will make the RFAs really pop. I’ve been super happy with my order from Saltcritters. 

I would advise you purchase WYSIWG vs random purchases. I’ve done both and the latter was quite disappointing. However, it was only $8 so....you get what you pay for. 

I bought a pack pack of them once and received nearly identical flowers, so that was another lesson learned. No worries, as I just separated them between 2 tanks. 

yeah I have been really happy with real reef rocks this is my 2nd or 3rd order of the stuff. a bit pricey  but  IMHO worth  it especially for a nano tank I prob. could have gotten away with 10-15#  but it's always nice to have more when scaping.

well there 'we' pick are $20 per nem  where if I pick its $25 per...hmmm    would be so nice to find a nice big pack at once. 

so the stand I had will not work as the "BOSS" said no ATO res. out side stand. so I spend more time than I care to admit on searching for stand ideas. searched high and low. inside the box and out...

In the end I am gonna do a nice DIY build. the mood  is modern and the goal is  to match with the RS 750.

more to come in the next few days. 

I might hold off on getting it wet until the stand is build. we shell see...

in other tank news. my 3D reefing diffuser got sent back as he did not add the box # to the pkg. 😞 so another one is getting shipped out on Friday. 

as this boys and girls is why we order stuff before we need it.  HA          

• Like 1

Well after a lot if thought on a stand for this bad boy. I decided to go with a DIY stand I got a idea and hope it Turns out as good as it looks in my head...haha

The start is 2-10' 2x4s

20190822_175233.jpg 20190823_121050.jpg 20190824_135417.jpg 20190824_145444.jpg

might be a tad over built?  but it getting there off to the hardware store for some kreg jig screws  for the legs.  

• Like 1

unfortunately the stand did not come out that good. not sure where I went wrong I have build a stand for a 75 and 40br that came out great but this one did not. so back to the drawing board. boo    

• Sad 1

I believe the problem is I used pocket screws for the legs as well as tight bond 3 wood glue. pre drilled the  pocket holes added the screws the back em out then added the glue to the legs and re screwed. in the end it twisted the uprights and brought them in to the middle so the top "box" will not sit on straight or level. 

out $30 on the stand build not the end of the world. so now I am once again looking at options.

the top of my list is EZ tube quick connectors or a end table from amazon. 

i'll let you know what I end up with.

you would think..well I would think it would be easy to find a stand for a sub 20 gal system.. 😕 but sadly that not the case.

• Like 1

after some thought on the stand I wanted to go with a T slot stand but after pricing it all together I decided to wait until we move ( if we do)  in 2-4 months

so in the mean time I found a way to use what I have. a pretty heavy duty TV stand painted some 2x4 black to match the stand and give it a few more inches and added a 1/2" plywood top to it the aquarium mat and we are good to go! 

image.png.f0a78b1cddf6ec74021c533d20764e2b.png

image.png.c005aa5f6dec364f6b0d3360aa147565.png

• Like 1

Great spot - plenty room to work and plenty room to sit right next to it (more importantly) lol - I really appreciated the video, much better than pictures - hope to see more   :]

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Great spot - plenty room to work and plenty room to sit right next to it (more importantly) lol - I really appreciated the video, much better than pictures - hope to see more   :]

yup lots more coming down the pipe line. just need to figure what I want to record  with go pro, phone or DLSR they upload it. my internet speed is only 5mb d/l and mu u/l must be like 1mb max 🐌  i think that 60 sec video took 30 min to upload. 

• Like 1