Cultivated Reef

Waterbox Cube 10 (Home of EmoNemo)

Senpapi

Hello everyone!

Been out of the hobby for about 5 years now and my girlfriend and i decided to start something for the bedroom. We would love to share our process and get feedback from everyone.

We decided to go with a Waterbox Cube 10. We got a good deal on it so why not. 

Tank was setup and started cycling on 08/09/19. We bought a Kessil a80 from a local and it just looks amazing. We went with about 10lbs of dry rock and live sand. We will let the live sand kick start the cycle and wait before adding livestock. 

Here is the current FTS. 12/12/2019

DSC06617.thumb.jpg.3b9251ab58d499c920f257b60327a589.jpg

Livestock:

B&W Clownfish 

Conch Snail

Nassarius snail

Corals:
Rastas
Sunny Ds
Red Death Palys
Gobstoppers
Mohawks
VW Bloodshots
Halle Berries
Pink Zippers
Pocillipora
Gorgonian
Nightmares
Bowsers
Shazams
Rainbow Incinarators
King Midas
Vivid Rainbows
Utter Chaos
Hyper Jubilee

Thanks everyone!

• Like 4

Also, we are in search of a powerhead. Nothing that will break the bank so I already decided not to go with Vortech or Tunze. Is there a Jebao that will do well in here? We are thinking of a mixed Reef. Any advice would be appreciated 😄

4 minutes ago, Senpapi said:

Hello everyone!

Been out of the hobby for about 5 years now and my girlfriend and i decided to start something for the bedroom. We would love to share our process and get feedback from everyone.

We decided to go with a Waterbox Cube 10. We got a good deal on it so why not. 

Tank was setup and started cycling on 08/09/19. We bought a Kessil a80 from a local and it just looks amazing. We went with about 10lbs of dry rock and live sand. We will let the live sand kick start the cycle and wait before adding livestock. 

Here is the current FTS. 08/12/19

20190810_211521.thumb.jpg.ff8780e712f5cc2a164aa3bd880ad28a.jpg

Thanks everyone!

welcome! 🙂

I like the rock scape.

Just about any small powerhead would work in that size tank.......I used Jaebo powerheads in my 12 gallon for awhile.

• Like 2

Awesome start! I picked up the same tank for a coral frag/quarantine but have a feeling it will become a full blow set up. One powerhead I would look into that won't break the bank would be the Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget. Flow between 253-2300gph with several different modes. I messaged bulkreefsupply and they claim that the rear magnet can also be submerged. So if you had a spot in the rear chambers you could place the pump on the rear wall to hide it. 

• Like 2

Cool start! Might not hurt to get some bacteria in a bottle to kick start the cycle. Dr.Tims and Fritz make a good one. With that size tank, any powerhead would do. I would just look for something low profile that fits with your scape. Be patient, keep on with water changes! Reefs take time! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

welcome! 🙂

I like the rock scape.

Just about any small powerhead would work in that size tank.......I used Jaebo powerheads in my 12 gallon for awhile.

Thank you WV. We tried to keep the scale simple for more coral room lol. What jaebo do you use in your 12g? I was thinking the pp-4 but not sure.  

5 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Awesome start! I picked up the same tank for a coral frag/quarantine but have a feeling it will become a full blow set up. One powerhead I would look into that won't break the bank would be the Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget. Flow between 253-2300gph with several different modes. I messaged bulkreefsupply and they claim that the rear magnet can also be submerged. So if you had a spot in the rear chambers you could place the pump on the rear wall to hide it. 

Thank you Elizabeth. It's a really nice tank. Would make an amazing frag tank tbh. I will definitely look into the Marine Aqua Gadget! Using the rear magnet inside the chambers would look very neat!

5 hours ago, nevets9333 said:

Cool start! Might not hurt to get some bacteria in a bottle to kick start the cycle. Dr.Tims and Fritz make a good one. With that size tank, any powerhead would do. I would just look for something low profile that fits with your scape. Be patient, keep on with water changes! Reefs take time! 

Thank you nevets! I have used the bacteria in the past. Might check it out. We are not so much in a rush but we'll see lol 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Senpapi said:

Thank you WV. We tried to keep the scale simple for more coral room lol. What jaebo do you use in your 12g? I was thinking the pp-4 but not sure.  

I had two Jaebo WP10s in my 12 long because it is such a long tank.  One pp4 should be plenty for you. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I had two Jaebo WP10s in my 12 long because it is such a long tank.  One pp4 should be plenty for you. 

Nice! The ow10s are the newest models right? 

14 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

This is awesome dude! Welcome to NR. Following along.

Thanks man! Welcome to the party! 😄

• Like 1

Alright. Quick update. We have decided to go with the jebao ow-10. Seems like it's a popular choice for small tanks. Now to figure out a good ATO and heater. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Senpapi said:

Alright. Quick update. We have decided to go with the jebao ow-10. Seems like it's a popular choice for small tanks. Now to figure out a good ATO and heater. 

Cobalt Neo Therm heather! Sleek body and will easily fit in the WB sump.

ATO - Smart Micro ATO or XP Aqua Duetto ATO.

🙂

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Cobalt Neo Therm heather! Sleek body and will easily fit in the WB sump.

ATO - Smart Micro ATO or XP Aqua Duetto ATO.

🙂

6 hours ago, nevets9333 said:

+1 cobalt neo therm. Consistent and reliable.

I have been using the tunzee nano ato forever without an issue.

Thank you Krish and Nevets for the suggestions. It made it a no brainier for me to go with the Cobalt! 🙂

We went ahead and purchase that along with the jebao ow-10. 

We also purchased the inTank filter floss holder to replace the filter sock. Pics for fun will be coming on Thursday when everything arrives. 

We will hold off on the ATO at the moment, trying not to break the bank so fast lol

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Senpapi said:

Thank you Krish and Nevets for the suggestions. It made it a no brainier for me to go with the Cobalt! 🙂

We went ahead and purchase that along with the jebao ow-10. 

We also purchased the inTank filter floss holder to replace the filter sock. Pics for fun will be coming on Thursday when everything arrives. 

We will hold off on the ATO at the moment, trying not to break the bank so fast lol

You are most welcome! Glad that you went with the Cobalt. That's a good investment :happy:

Oh good choice: InTank media baskets are very handy.

What are you planning to stock the filtration basket with? Filter floss, Chemipure Elite + something else? Or you got a different combination in mind?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

You are most welcome! Glad that you went with the Cobalt. That's a good investment :happy:

Oh good choice: InTank media baskets are very handy.

What are you planning to stock the filtration basket with? Filter floss, Chemipure Elite + something else? Or you got a different combination in mind?

Thanks! 😄

You nailed it! That's all we're planning to run, floss and chemipure. We will let the water changes do their thing lol. 

• Like 1
On 8/12/2019 at 7:53 PM, Senpapi said:

Nice! The ow10s are the newest models right? 

Thanks man! Welcome to the party! 😄

Yes, those are the newest model. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Yes, those are the newest model. 

Sweet! That's what I thought. There are so many models nowadays. Kinda hard to keep up especially when you come back from a 5yr break lol

• Like 1

Update! I'm borrowing a PAR meter from my LFS to get the best out of this lights! I should be posting some pics today. Also, getting jebao, Cobalt, and a magnet glass cleaner on the mail today. Woop!

Pics for fun as promised. 😄

I've heard really good things about this mini scraper. 

20190815_205808.thumb.jpg.37e79e37bc48c02c7dc507a7db4de625.jpg

Jebao 🙃

20190815_205906.thumb.jpg.e5302ce4631a08747bf8212be5319765.jpg

The Fire 🔥

20190815_205917.thumb.jpg.eef74ba956346be7a31398e69d2eaa96.jpg

Girlfriend can't wait to add livestock so we about to speed this up lol

20190815_205938.thumb.jpg.e6a7052281448284c2a9945ab0ce332a.jpg

The PAR meter our LFS let us borrow. 

20190815_205947.thumb.jpg.71edcbda2cf3c5bd988b738a68980674.jpg

Tomorrow I will be doing PAR readings and will start the dosing. More pics about the readings as well as an updated FTS. Will take this FTS with my Sony a6500 so it should be real nice 🙂

• Like 2
reef r madness

I bought a mp 10 vortech and a ow25 last month I have been using the mp 10 in a nano cube 28...I still have dead areas in my tank...I've tried the ow 25 in a bucket and was pretty impressed by the wave modes...it moves some major water..I like your waterbox..welcome to the forum

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, reef r madness said:

I bought a mp 10 vortech and a ow25 last month I have been using the mp 10 in a nano cube 28...I still have dead areas in my tank...I've tried the ow 25 in a bucket and was pretty impressed by the wave modes...it moves some major water..I like your waterbox..welcome to the forum

Thank you! I'm so excited about the jebao. They truly are amazing pumps! I can't wait to set it up. I used to own an mp10 before I got out of the hobby. They are nice but pricey. 

On 8/16/2019 at 12:07 AM, Senpapi said:

Tomorrow I will be doing PAR readings and will start the dosing. More pics about the readings as well as an updated FTS. Will take this FTS with my Sony a6500 so it should be real nice 🙂

How did the reading turn out. I’m really curious since I’m preparing to do pretty much the same setup with the a80. Nice looking tank!!!

• 2 weeks later...