Christian V

Need help on mantis shrimp care

Christian V

Hi I've recently bought a 29 gallon tank that I'd like to turn into a tank specific for a peacock mantis shrimp. I have an aqueon flourecent deluxe hood and I want to use a sump or refugium for filtration is this ok?? Also what should I feed it?? 

Tamberav

Keep up on water changes as they are prone to shell rot so you don't want that water to get dirty.

Clams on the half shell and krill soaked in selcon are popular but I would probably choose a LRS chunky as my #1 thing to feed.

Keep in mind they bury uneaten food which can rot so don't overfeed.

Live food should also be offered for stimulation/activity for them. They are smart animals.

• Like 2

mndfreeze
On 8/11/2019 at 8:15 PM, Christian V said:

Hi I've recently bought a 29 gallon tank that I'd like to turn into a tank specific for a peacock mantis shrimp. I have an aqueon flourecent deluxe hood and I want to use a sump or refugium for filtration is this ok?? Also what should I feed it?? 

a 29 gallon is kinda small for a peacock.  They get pretty big.  They also like to move around a lot once they get comfortable.  It really should be in like a 40 breeder.  You should consider a smaller species of manis, especially if this is  your first one.

They are smasher mantis so they eat things like crabs, clams, shrimp, etc.  When I had my ternatensis mantis I would plan to buy new clean up crew every few weeks because he would slowly snack on them, and I would feed him pieces of silversides on a skewer.  Then once a week I would buy him a feeder crab from the local LFS so he had something to chase and kill.

Mantis are NOTORIOUS for burying uneaten food for later, usually inside their burrow where you can't get it so having a sump and good filtration is good.  You also need to make sure you are good at water changes.    Not just being regular with them but making sure salinity is the same, temp is good, etc.  You really should make sure you get a skimmer for  your setup and some mechanical filtration on top of a sump/fuge.

Peacocks also don't like super high light.  You wouldn't want to put one in a high light coral tank for example.  Some low light softies would be ok.  

Use PVC to shape a U shaped burrow for it, then 'hide' it with rocks and stuff.  A good burrow will really help the mantis feel more comfortable and less stressed.

• Like 1

Christian V

Ahh ok so the tanks a bit too small for a peacock?? Are there any others that are interactive like that? That was my main thing that drew me into the peacocks 

Also if it is ok should I put some acrylic onto the bottom of the tank now idk how to go about it as it already has sand in the tank how should I add ir

hayseed777
49 minutes ago, Christian V said:

Ahh ok so the tanks a bit too small for a peacock?? Are there any others that are interactive like that? That was my main thing that drew me into the peacocks 

Also if it is ok should I put some acrylic onto the bottom of the tank now idk how to go about it as it already has sand in the tank how should I add ir

G. Smithii (purple spot) would be a good candidate for your tank. They're as interactive as peacocks, possibly more so. 

Christian V

G.smithii got it Thank you!