CanYouHearMeMeow

A little help here..

CanYouHearMeMeow

Setup is a 20L with 2 clowns,4 snails,(an emerald crab MAYBE- I can’t find him after he molted), a scooter blenny,a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. 

Copepod population is practically non existent anymore and was thinking about setting up a small breeding setup for them. (I also want my scooter to stay healthy and well fed)

LFS sells tigger pods and brine shrimp (both live)..I know nothing on culturing but was wondering this....

•If I keep the tigger pods in a small plastic container with an air stone and no light ,will they survive enough to culture?

•Can tigger pods and brine shrimp live in the same container?

I just want to know the very bare minimum basics for now to get my copepod population back up. LFS is currently cheaper than algae barn for copepods which is why I’m not going that route.

Clown79
12 hours ago, CanYouHearMeMeow said:

Setup is a 20L with 2 clowns,4 snails,(an emerald crab MAYBE- I can’t find him after he molted), a scooter blenny,a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. 

Copepod population is practically non existent anymore and was thinking about setting up a small breeding setup for them. (I also want my scooter to stay healthy and well fed)

LFS sells tigger pods and brine shrimp (both live)..I know nothing on culturing but was wondering this....

•If I keep the tigger pods in a small plastic container with an air stone and no light ,will they survive enough to culture?

•Can tigger pods and brine shrimp live in the same container?

I just want to know the very bare minimum basics for now to get my copepod population back up. LFS is currently cheaper than algae barn for copepods which is why I’m not going that route.

To have them reproduce you need to either set up a refugium/cheato, pod condo. They need somewhere to reproduce before being eaten.

Tamberav

If you want to culture them in a jar container then you need to dose phyto for them to eat/breed which means either buying or growing phyto too.

Don't put brine in with them. To make your own brine you buy eggs and hatch them with a airstone.

To keep them up naturally in the tank they need food and a refugium helps or planting the tank with macroalgae helps.

• Thanks 1

CanYouHearMeMeow
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you want to culture them in a jar container then you need to dose phyto for them to eat/breed which means either buying or growing phyto too.

Don't put brine in with them. To make your own brine you buy eggs and hatch them with a airstone.

To keep them up naturally in the tank they need food and a refugium helps or planting the tank with macroalgae helps.

Do the tigger pods need a light source to thrive? My idea was..putting a small container with an air stone in the cabinet under my tank with a piece of dry rock in there for hiding purposes

billygoat
9 hours ago, CanYouHearMeMeow said:

Do the tigger pods need a light source to thrive? My idea was..putting a small container with an air stone in the cabinet under my tank with a piece of dry rock in there for hiding purposes

The pods themselves do not require light, but the things they eat generally do. You're going to have to feed them home-cultured live phytoplankton or have some fast-growing macroalgae such as Ulva or Chaetomorpha growing in their container in order to keep the pods alive. Both of these options will require light. Otherwise the pods will rapidly run out of food and probably just die out.