Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

how much LR do you have in your tank?

devaji108

So I know this is all over the place ( and depending on rock used )  just wondering what you nano guys have for LR in your systems.

I am thinking about 10-13# for a 18.5 gal tank

so post you tank size and rock amount plz

2 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Figure out the scape you want.  Don't worry about number of lbs per gallon crap.  If you want a minimal scape, use less rock and add in some bio media in the filtration area.

yup that is the plan. I was just curious it's a peninsula tank I have plenty of LR in my 40br sump waiting for the RS750 build that I can take from so I will just grab what i like and figure out a cool scape.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, devaji108 said:

So I know this is all over the place ( and depending on rock used )  just wondering what you nano guys have for LR in your systems.

I am thinking about 10-13# for a 18.5 gal tank

so post you tank size and rock amount plz

20gal long,  Here is about 12lbs of real reef rock. With the growth I have now, I wish I had used half the amount for a lower profile rocks cape. 

IMG_4694.jpg.38a3647007d7c025c54994af7575ed0f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I started out with 10 lbs. of live rock in my 18 gallon aquarium. I've since added a bit more (probably somewhere closer to 12 or 13 lbs. these days) but here's what it looked like in the beginning:

firstfill.thumb.jpg.5faccdff1c10964fac6e83bb2b101ce8.jpg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Figure out the scape you want.  Don't worry about number of lbs per gallon crap.  If you want a minimal scape, use less rock and add in some bio media in the filtration area.

This.

I might have like 15-18 pounds in a 20. If you have a sump or rear chambers look into Marinepure ceramic bio media. I have an 8x8x4 block in my sump and it's even denitrifying for me.

GetPsyched2124

depends on the type of rock you get and the scape you want. some rocks are more denser and weigh more than other types. I have about 12 pounds of the Marco rocks reef saver dry live rock from BRS in my 20 gallon AIO.

it's all in a single island like pillar in the center of the tank with enough of a gap between the false wall and the rocks to observe/clean/hiding for the fish.

• 2 months later...

Density of rock will be able to throw the lbs/gallon metric off too far to be that accurate...it's just a rule of thumb.  

Shoot for the tank being about 1/4-1/3 "full" of rock no matter what the poundage is.  It should look "mostly empty".