Pod Your Reef

Is this aiptasia?

5*Chris

I bought some coral today that was on a small piece of live rock. It's been in my tank for half a day. I'm sitting here looking at the new coral and I see this pop out and open up. Quick Google search and I think it's aiptasia, but I'm still new lol. I pulled the rock out, then pulled the frag and it's actually stuck to the bottom of the frag plug. 

If so, how can I properly removed this from the plug without risking introduction? And is there something I could do to the rock, hopefully quickly, to make it usable? 

When I dipped the coral, I scrubbed everything but used the same water/dip mix for all the coral, as well as other piece of live rock. I feel like I f'd up, if I read correctly on how they are able to reproduce. Thoughts? IMG_20190810_222258.thumb.jpg.34d07913814e17d7fefb4d310921ecaa.jpg

Thanks in advance

I am pretty sure it is..

Any way you can cut the coral and glue it on to another plug/piece of rock?  The sooner you take action the better.  There are treatments (additives/chemicals) available, but if you know it is isolated to this one piece that is a good thing.  

Hard to tell exactly from angle in the picture, but could you cut the plug and remove the aiptasia?  

I actually just held the plug upside down to keep the coral in the water, and took a lighter to it (read it on another forum), the aiptasia popped, then I wiped the bottom of the plug off with peroxide and rinsed it. 

I've been eagle eyeing the other coral and rock I got today, fingers crossed I don't see another one.

I would like to add that I did all that right next to the tank, so if there's more aiptasia, they just witnessed what will happen to them if they show their cool looking little faces.

Thank you! I honestly felt a sense of accomplishment after tackling this lol. Luckily it was just one on a frag plug, I was bummed out when I thought it was attached to the rock. But I'm glad it happened, since now I'm interested in learning more about the pests. Thanks again

Nice too you were able to handle it without using chemicals.  Fire, lemon juice, boiling water are nice when they work as you don't have to worry about hurting anything else.