Top Shelf Aquatics

Planning a comeback after 18 year hiatus

Oldfishwife

Hello all - the hubby and I were very into reef tanks for about 5-6 years a while back. After losing our gorgeous 200 gal. Reef to a hose breaking loose while we were on vacation, we lost heart and got out of the hobby. We did take a brief foray into reefing again with a 40 gal cube about 14 years ago, but the tank was customized and not very well done. We had a constant battle with vibration, rattling and numerous other annoyances and finally gave up. This was right about the time that AIO setups were starting to get popular, but there weren’t many and the ones that were out there weren’t good for marine.

so now, my hubby wants to start a small FW planted tank in a Fluval Flex and I’m debating after that, doing a nano reef. I’m just starting to look at things and I’m impressed with what’s out there. Lighting and water movement are soooo good. Filtration without skimming, I’m not so sure about, but I plan to read up on people’s experiences.

its a conundrum because as much as I’d like to do it, do I WANT to do it? 🤗😂😂😂 I keep remembering those 50 gal water changes, the hum of multiple fans constantly running to cool the halides, the sucking sound of the huge skimmer, the clicking as the circulation pumps turned on and off. I did love it at the time, but oh man!!! 😂 it was a HUGE amount of work! Plus we had a 75 reef, a 29 tall seahorse tank and a 40 gal for a lion fish. Yeah, we were crazy!!! 😂

Anyhoo, I’m thinking a 5-10 gal AIO. I’m looking at the Fluval tank designed for marine. I like that it has everything except the heater and from what I’ve read, the lighting is good enough for mushrooms and such. That’s really all I want with a small gobie or 2 and maybe a shrimp. My dream was always the BT anemone with a Maroon clown wallowing around, but I’ve had more than enough experience with anemones and know this would not be the optimum environment. So no. And I’ve also watched Maroons batter “host” corals into submission. Don’t want that either. 🙄

I’m also looking at Waterbox, but I’m not sure if I want to spend the extra $$ on lighting and a mesh cover. Decisions, decisions. I definitely like that Starfire glass. I’m going to hang out here and read posts and pick brains while the hub is getting his planted tank going. Then I’ll make a decision. He keeps reminding me that I’m retired now and have loads of time.😂 and this time we can’t go overboard because our house isn’t even half as big as our former home, so we’re limited to very few little bitty tanks. 😉 I look forward to seeing some amazing nanos!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Oldfishwife said:

Hello all - the hubby and I were very into reef tanks for about 5-6 years a while back. After losing our gorgeous 200 gal. Reef to a hose breaking loose while we were on vacation, we lost heart and got out of the hobby. We did take a brief foray into reefing again with a 40 gal cube about 14 years ago, but the tank was customized and not very well done. We had a constant battle with vibration, rattling and numerous other annoyances and finally gave up. This was right about the time that AIO setups were starting to get popular, but there weren’t many and the ones that were out there weren’t good for marine.

so now, my hubby wants to start a small FW planted tank in a Fluval Flex and I’m debating after that, doing a nano reef. I’m just starting to look at things and I’m impressed with what’s out there. Lighting and water movement are soooo good. Filtration without skimming, I’m not so sure about, but I plan to read up on people’s experiences.

its a conundrum because as much as I’d like to do it, do I WANT to do it? 🤗😂😂😂 I keep remembering those 50 gal water changes, the hum of multiple fans constantly running to cool the halides, the sucking sound of the huge skimmer, the clicking as the circulation pumps turned on and off. I did love it at the time, but oh man!!! 😂 it was a HUGE amount of work! Plus we had a 75 reef, a 29 tall seahorse tank and a 40 gal for a lion fish. Yeah, we were crazy!!! 😂

Anyhoo, I’m thinking a 5-10 gal AIO. I’m looking at the Fluval tank designed for marine. I like that it has everything except the heater and from what I’ve read, the lighting is good enough for mushrooms and such. That’s really all I want with a small gobie or 2 and maybe a shrimp. My dream was always the BT anemone with a Maroon clown wallowing around, but I’ve had more than enough experience with anemones and know this would not be the optimum environment. So no. And I’ve also watched Maroons batter “host” corals into submission. Don’t want that either. 🙄

I’m also looking at Waterbox, but I’m not sure if I want to spend the extra $$ on lighting and a mesh cover. Decisions, decisions. I definitely like that Starfire glass. I’m going to hang out here and read posts and pick brains while the hub is getting his planted tank going. Then I’ll make a decision. He keeps reminding me that I’m retired now and have loads of time.😂 and this time we can’t go overboard because our house isn’t even half as big as our former home, so we’re limited to very few little bitty tanks. 😉 I look forward to seeing some amazing nanos!!!

Welcome to NR! 😊   cant wait to see what you decide on getting set up. 

You can do as little or as much as you want. I run low tech tanks with lights, wavemakers and heat only. I like to keep things simple with very little maintenance.  

Hi - thanks for the welcome! what filtration do you use? I’ve been hearing a lot about floss. Water changes? Frequency and percentages? I plan to keep it very simple. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Oldfishwife said:

Hi - thanks for the welcome! what filtration do you use? I’ve been hearing a lot about floss. Water changes? Frequency and percentages? I plan to keep it very simple. 

I do not use any mechanical filtration.

I do a 30% water change every week on my 12 gallon and about once a month on my 75 gallon. 

A lot of people with all in AIO tanks or HOB filters use floss to polish the water. 

• Like 1

If you like the Waterbox tanks and are interested in the starphire glass you can take a look at the Innovative Marine line of Pro tanks. Again, you will have to add lighting but minus the heater, the IM Pro line come with everything needed to get up and running and also use low iron glass.

Here are links to the 10g cube and their 14g peninsula. Labor day is also around the corner so factor in the possibility of a sale or a coupon code.

https://www.marinedepot.com/nuvo-fusion-10-pro-aio-10-gallon-aquarium-bundle-innovative-marine

https://www.marinedepot.com/nuvo-fusion-peninsula-14-pro-aio-14-gallon-aquarium-bundle-innovative-marine

I currenty have the IM 20g Peninsula running and love it. I currently use InTank's filter floss in the media basket along with carbon and chemi-pure; water is crystal clear. Have about 15-20lbs of live rock and do a 3g water change weekly, a little over 20% of total water volume.

Sounds nice! I like that 10 gal bundle, especially with that nice pump and the screen top. I’ve already ordered a Lifegard  Crystal 10 aio, but if I had seen that package first I may have gone with it. What lights are you using?

• Like 1

Yes! Pump is awesome and the screen top is a nice extra to include. Haven't seen too many Lifegards around so interested in your thoughts after you get it up and running.

A Nanobox Duo, great light with awesome features from the Bluefish controller.

http://nanoboxreef.com/

Thanks. I just received my tank and lights from Amazon. There was not a single piece of packaging in the Amazon box no indication the contents were fragile. The tank is in about 50 pieces. I’m not taking a chance on the lights since that small box was bouncing around everywhere in the big Amazon box. Yeah, I’m mad. I’ve bought clothing and soft stuff from Amazon before and it was cushioned to the point of overkill, but 2 fragile items with ZERO packaging? WOW I received another box today with stuff like heaters, power strips cleaning stuff. Zero packaging - just thrown in the box.

• Sad 1

I think this is a sign for you to return everything and pick up the IM tank over Labor Day weekend lol.

Honestly though, sucks about the packaging and the headache about getting refunded.

Yeah, I’m thinking about it. I called Lifegard to let them know to not waste their product through Amazon. I’m having gallbladder surgery next week and was hoping to have this cycling during recovery. Guess that isn’t happening. 😂😂😂 oh well. There IS a reason. 

Sorry to hear about your items. Such a bummer.. IM Fusions are great quality If you were looking to get a different tank.

Waterbox makes a nice tank too. There is a 7gal package that includes a Kessil A80 which is a nice little light. You may want to get a Kessil controller for it though. I have this package begging to be filled but I haven’t gotten to it yet. Lol. 

• Like 1

I cycled my rock in a bucket while I waited for my tank and supplies to come in the mail. Really cut down on the cycling time once the tank was up and running.

Good luck with surgery!

• Like 2

That’s crazy that it was so poorly packaged through Amazon. My tank was exceptionally packaged, and then it was packaged in another box twice it’s size with all sorts of packing materials. 

Did you opt for for a refund/replacement, or just a refund with the intention of getting a different tank?

I’m went for the full refund. I’m going to go through marine depot so I know it will be packed right. There are several tanks I’m interested in and my concern with the one I bought is that the compartment for the return pump is extremely small and limiting. They include a “quiet One pump, , but I know from past experience that they seen all that quiet. I

MarineDepot packaging is top notch! They had a Memorial Day sale, 10% off of everything I believe so look out for the same this Labor Day.

I know IM also had a 10% sale that Memorial weekend.